Bevel on 8" display screen

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ElahB, Apr 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ElahB

ElahB New Member

I just received my Kona EV with the Ultimate trim level, and an 8" display screen. However, the Bevel is HUGE, and the image is only taking up 7" of the screen. Any other Ultimate owners with this issue? How can I reduce the bevel (black unused screen space)?

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. When you find out let us all know (same problem in UK)
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/black-border-on-infotainment-system.136768/

4. ElahB

ElahB New Member

Thanks electriceddy. Hyundai needs to fix this for sure :(

5. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

If you actually take a measurement of it. I believe the display area will be 8". The bezel, when hit with the right light, doesn't appear to be "screen" at all.
    So I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. the 7" version in the preferred trim goes right to the plastic bezel.

6. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

I have the same bevel on my ultimate. If you look at Hyundai USA site, the ultimate "inside 360" view doesnt show it. The screen is right up to the plastic.

upload_2019-4-20_17-29-9.png

Brennan Raposo and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Brennan Raposo

Soooo class action lawsuit on Hyundai?
    That is false advertising, technically speaking.

Has anyone actually taken a ruler to it? If the entire screen is 8” but the image only broadcasts on 7” - then we could probably complain. But like I said before - If you look at it under the right light, the bezel part doesn’t look like “screen” it just looks like black plastic. So I really don’t think it’s a matter of them just enlarging the image.

9. JSU

JSU New Member

I've measured the actual LCD screen within the bezel and it's exactly 8" diagonally from corner to corner just as it was advertised. The only thing Hyundai is guilty of is letting that image that was previously posted in this forum on their website which was obviously photoshopped poorly and not to spec which showed a stretched to fit image to the outer edge of the bezel. But they never said it was any bigger than 8 inches.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Brennan Raposo

I would disagree,
    If the screen WITH bezel, is 8” then that means the viewable screen itself is 7”. The preferred trim comes with a 7” screen without bezel, which would essentially be the same screen. Meaning Hyundai is blatantly deceiving us by having us pay more for an 8” screen that’s really only 7” when the cheaper alternative is actually the same size.

This is definitely grounds for a complaint as far as I’m concerned. Perhaps a software update would do the trick, but I personally don’t think so because I don’t think it’s just a matter of enlarging the screen image. I think the actual LCD is limited to the inner bezel size.

11. JSU

JSU New Member

I used a very scientific method to measure my screen. Maybe your screen is 7 inches diagonally, but my display is 8 inches diagonally, although I have to admit it maybe slightly less than 8 inches but not by much. Definitely not a 7 inch display. I'd be very interested to see a photo of your display.

IMG_3154.jpg IMG_3156.JPG

Jared Potter and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. As JSU confirmed it is 8" from corners
    May want to call off the complaint, although you are probably right about the LCD

JSU likes this.