Better tires?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Jun 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

The stock nexens start to slip as soon as i accelerate in any mode other than eco.
    Edit: actually i can get them to slip even in eco, its just not as soon as i press the accelerator pedal. And I'm talking sunny dry summer weather with traction control enabled.
    What's the point of having all this torque if you can't use it?

They seem quite bad and I'm afraid of what this means for braking and turning performance.

Did anyone replace the stock tires with other brands?

What did you choose?

Are all low rolling resistance tires bad for grip performance?

And if i change to non low rolling resistance tires how much will i lose in range?

This is for summer only as in the winter i have to use winter tires, it's the law.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This has been discussed pretty detailed in other threads I believe

4. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I did a search for tires but it just comes up with lots of unrelated threads where messages contain the word tire...

5. nigels

nigels Active Member

Kitsilano, Kamloops_KoNa and BC-Doc like this.
  6. nigels

nigels Active Member

Those crazy Aussies at Performance Drive did an acceleration test with and without traction control. If you thought wheel spin was bad with traction control on, check out the tire melting that happens with it turned off! Kind of wish I’d tried this before I recycled the Nexens :)

Jared Potter and Kitsilano like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Before we brought our Kona EV home in February 2019, we had them put Michelin CrossClimate all weather tires on our car. They are great and we perfect in our climate i.e. lots of rain, and infrequent snow in the winter usually not more than 30 cm. of snow. We had 3 snow events after getting tires and we moved up and down the hills very easily. We were impressed with the Michelin tires. Seemingly they are quieter than the Nexen tires, but we have no experience with the Nexens as we came home with the Michelins.
    We are a list list for Kia Soul EV 2020 and will put Michelins on the Soul EV. Should have the Kia by mid month.

Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  10. I've been driving the Nexen's as my summer tires. I've noticed no trouble with them at all. They are smooth and quiet until rough roads and then can slap a bit but not any more than others. I've driven in rain with no slipping or hydroplaning and have not noticed any torque slips either. They may, MAY not last as long as more "name" tires but time will tell. I'll be damned if I am not going to use something I paid good money for especially after already having to pay for a full set of proper winters.

11. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

But they do look pretty weird, the tread design I mean.;)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I never noticed. The tires look nice imo.

electriceddy likes this.