BC Ferries clearance

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Mar 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. As the topic suggests , has anyone tried ? Particularity any Vancouver island runs from mainland.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Just curious, what is your concern?

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Why wouldn't it fit

5. Measuring under the center of the battery where the two big mounting bolts are (including the reinforcing weld to pavement) I measure 5.75" not the 6.2" spec'd on this Hyundai spec site
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/showroom/2019/kona-electric/specs
    See-Performance/Exterior dimensions
    Investigating further on the BC ferries forum (see the discussion from future ferry driver-deckhand about 3 paragraphs down) there is a safer procedure to enter at a 45 degree angle and slower if the upper berth is equipped with a conventional lift (must be manually adjusted during loading) than a terminal with an active lift ( automatically adjusts to ideal angle).
    Route 30 (Tsawwassen to Duke point) and Route 1 (Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay-Victoria) are active lift while the Route 2 (Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay-Nanaimo) are the less desirable conventional lift.
    I think Nanaimo is scheduled for some upgrades so time will tell. In the meantime you can request to be loaded with the over height vehicles if this is a concern while travelling between Departure bay and Horseshoe Bay.
    http://ferriesbc.proboards.com/thread/8226/general-bcf-answers?page=4

mho and Kitsilano like this.
  6. SkookumPete

My 2005 Prius with 4.9" (124 mm) of clearance was on and off the ferry (the routes you mention) scores of times with no problems.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Good to know, I assume your Prius was loaded on the upper loading ramp?

9. SkookumPete

Every ramp and every ship in the fleet! :)

10. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I've had my C-Max Energi PHEV on several BC Ferries with no issues. It has lower clearance than the Kona EV I think from looking at them side by side. I have never been sent to a special ramp upper or lower traveling to Duke Point, Victoria, Galiano, Salt Spring etc. No comments at all from Ferry personnel.

Edit: C-Max Energi clearance is 5.5 inches. Kona EV is 6.2. So all seems okay.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Great, I guess I'll put this topic to rest:D

Kitsilano and CJC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. WelshCanuck

WelshCanuck New Member

Wayne drove the kona over to Vancouver and back last month without issue. Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay :)

Kitsilano likes this.