battery life

Discussion in 'General' started by Roy A., May 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

will home charging on 240 volt, and choosing a low amp current on my charging station prolong battery life than using a higher amp current?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Heat is the enemy so in the summer, I defer charging until after midnight.

Bob Wilson

4. TheMagster

TheMagster Member

Yes, in theory that should prolong battery life a bit. Lower amperage charging is healthy for any battery type. As Bob said, charging at night is best as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

There is no evidence that lower amperage 240v charging, in and of itself, has any impact on battery life.

There is significant evidence that heat is bad. If your EV has thermal battery management, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If you have an EV with no thermal management (LEAF, e-Golf, etc), keeping the battery cool requires user intervention and care. Lower charging rates might be of some benefit if the vehicle is not designed with a way to cool the batteries.

6. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

I am charging 20%-80% for battery life, anyone else follow this?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

IMG_20190507_000901.jpg

9. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Guess the Kia Niro EV doesn't have a enhanced battery. But if I charge 20%-80% I will charge more so it's confusing.

10. TonyB85

TonyB85 New Member

Hello Everyone,

Aside from being a proud owner of a 2011 Nissan Leaf, I am a graduate student who is conducting a Marketing Research Project that is focused on the ownership experience of older BEVs (Battery Electric Vehicles).

The most important part of my project is to request for insights from current & former BEV drivers.

1) If you could spare 10-15 minutes of your time, I would like to kindly invite you to complete the following survey:

Survey Link

2) If you feel inclined to do so, please feel free to share the link to as many BEV owners that you know.

Thank you in advance for both your time and support.

[Note: I believe the survey will only stay open until the end of this Sunday (PST))

~Tony

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The survey is harmless but advocates a 'battery swap' or 'battery lease' approach. This is not something I have any interest but the survey didn't ask why.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.