Battery life

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by 2020, Oct 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 2020

2020 Member

Just curious regarding the battery life. When the battery starts to lose charging capacity does the total mileage range on the screen decrease or does the range stay the same and the battery just gets depleted sooner.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bfd

bfd Active Member

No one knows yet how this system will react with regard to your question. I can say that in the Prius PHEV, as the battery lost capacity (after 5 years) the EV range decreased. Since it wasn't all that much to begin with, it only ended up being a mile or two less (but that's out of a possible 12-15), so maybe a 15% decrease. In a Clarity, that might amount to 7 miles at 15%. But we won't really know about any of this until some of the earliest buyers (last December) start hitting the 4-5 year mark. I might not have mine by then; it'll be paid for in two more years.

4. DVoran

DVoran Member

My friend with his Tesla says he’s lost about 10% after 60,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

5. lessismore

lessismore Member

I bet these batteries are not cheap and not self-serviceable. I like working on my own cars, but PHEV or BEVs would be a new challenge for me. I am not sure I want to deal with high voltage components in Clarity. I lease it for 3 years and will return it to Honda Financing just before full warranty expires