Autopilot Variants

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Mar 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

It appears there are different Autopilot variants whose specific features and even names can change: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-get-the-autonomous-cruise-control-without-the-rest-of-the-autopilot.10562/#post-190725
    • Started on "Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC)" on Dec 29, 2018
    • $3k "FSD" Autopilot does not include TACC
    • $5k "EAP" Autopilot does include TACC along with auto parking and other features
    Now jump forward to today's AutoPilot description:
    https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#autopilot
    Autopilot ($3k) - "Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

Full Self-Driving Capability ($5k) -
    • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
    • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
    • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
    Coming later this year:
    • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
    • Automatic driving on city streets.
    Reading the online, Owner's Manual, it made specific reference to TACC, pp 67:

Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA feature.

Note: If your vehicle is not equipped with the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability package, refer to the owner's manual on your vehicle's touchscreen for instructions on how to use Cruise Control

So two sources, user thread and online owner's manual indicate TACC requires the $5k "Enhanced Autopilot." But the web page I used to order my Model 3 says it or something like it is part of the $3k Autopilot.

I sent a note to Tesla support asking for clarification. But right now, I'm thinking of waiting until I get the car to find out. If my Autopilot has speed-only, cruise control, I'll be disappointed but know that for an extra $3k ($2k if ordered as part of the original) I can add it.

Found another source that matches my expectation: https://www.currentautomotive.com/tesla-changes-autopilot-feature-availability/
    • $3k - will get TACC and lane steering
    • $5k - needed for the autonomous driving features in the future
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

It certainly is confusing.

Tesla recently made changes to what the "Autopilot" package includes (and doesn't include) in the Model 3. The "Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)" package has been eliminated. Some driver assist features have been moved to the "FSD" package. I think one of those is "Navigate on Autopilot"?

"FSD" stands for "Full Self Driving". Further adding to the confusion, Elon said at the Model Y Reveal event that FSD would be "feature complete" by the end of the year. What did he mean by that? Surely he didn't actually mean that Model 3 cars will be able to operate fully autonomously by the end of the year... did he? Because that's most definitely not gonna happen.

Also, last I saw, the semi-self-driving packages in the Model S/X and the packages in the Model 3 don't match. (Is EAP still available for the MS/MX?) I hope Tesla will standardize the packages to eliminate (or at least reduce) this confusion.

On the other hand... I can certainly see that Tesla might see some advantage in creating market separation by having different options as standard or optional in the MS/MX vs the M3/MY. But if so, they need to make up different names for the option packages. Giving the same name to packages with different options... I think that kind of confusion isn't going to help Tesla sell cars.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    bwilson4web likes this.