Autopilot trial

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bulls96, Sep 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bulls96

bulls96 Member

Here's my first thoughts 5 days in...

Autopark is sweet. It doesn't detect the parking spots sometimes but when it does it was awesome. My wife was impressed too.

Autosteer also takes getting used to. THe problem I have sometimes is it limits the speed limit. I am guessing it detects I am not in a highway so it limits the car to 50mph.

Autosteering and keeping you in the lane spoils you.

SOmetimes, I feel my car gets too close to the cars on the right lane... but maybe its just me. ANyone else with that feeling?

My Wife drives a HOnda Clarity (plugin hybrid), but it also assists in keeping you in the lanes (called Lane Keep Assist) and also features adaptive cruise control. THese are 2 things that I will use a lot, and it hurts to have to pay $5500 to get these features (that came standard with Honda) into my Model 3.

On the fence about keeping the autopilot. WIsh it was cheaper.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

What is the option called; is that EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot)? What is the cost on the Model 3?

I'm confused about whether Model 3's without the EAP option have a lesser version of Autopilot, or not. I see conflicting statements on Tesla forums. I suppose to some extent that's just a labeling question. I see you can't get TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) in the TM3 without paying for EAP, and of course not AutoSteer without EAP, but without the option the TM3 still has regular cruise control, and ABS (Automatic Braking System). I thought ABS was considered part of the AP suite of driver safety/ assist features, but perhaps Tesla re-classified that recently?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Let me offer some perspective:
    • 2009 - Toyota would sell their version with upgrade to top trim, $6,000, and option, $2,000, or ~$8,000.
    • 2016 - Test drove Hyundai and their version requires upgrade to the top trim,$4,000, with less MPG than the BLUE test.
    • 2016 - Test drove Prius Level 3 with their version but it was NOT available on the fuel efficient ECO.
    • 2016 - Visited Chevy dealer and looked at their Volt but I would have to custom order top trim and add option. I didn't ask about price because the Volt felt like sitting in a foxhole.
    That Tesla offers it at a premium, well that is what owners have to decide if it is worth it. If you keep the car for 10 years, it runs about $500/year. If you can get an insurance discount, it becomes more affordable.

Bob Wilson

5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

The other difference is Tesla's feature improves over time, and some of that $5000 pays for future development work.

chris5168 likes this.