Anyone else have the touch screen stop working?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Clarity Dave, Oct 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

Several times under various circumstances, I've had the touch screen for the infotainment display stop responding to touches. One time it managed to detect the finger touching the screen, but failed to produce the "finger off" event, leaving the touched icon in the active state but still not doing anything.

I can't give a sequence of actions that reliably produces the behavior, but it happens most often when I'm using CarPlay. The first time it happened after a phone call via Bluetooth, so it's not just a CarPlay issue. Turning the car off and on usually restores the touch overlay, but I have also had luck with unplugging my phone then turning it off (unplugging wasn't enough, oddly, despite the Lightning port being what starts CarPlay -- at some point the touch screen starts working again as if nothing had happened.

Anyway, has anyone else had this happen? Given that it I can get it to start working again without resetting the car, I'm 90% convinced it's a software issue.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Not me. I thought the multiple systems warning wouldn't happen to me and it finally did. I hope it is not widespread. If it is the touchscreen, it looks like it is easy to replace but don't know if they have replacements.

4. netvm

netvm New Member

My touch screen suddenly got a black screen while driving at 45 mph this evening. I set up HondaLink this afternoon and everything works fine after setup. Drove 25 miles without any issue. After several hours and started to drive again. After 15 miles, at 45 mph my energy usage screen disappeared but radio is still on. Not operate anything except driving when it disappeared. No physical cable connected to the car. No response by touching Home button. After about 1 minute, it rebooted by itself and comes back.

5. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

One time, we used a wet napkin to clean the screen while it was still ON. The screen went bezerk and dimmed to a very dark shade. Touch became unresponsive and slow. We could hardly see anything on the screen. We let the screen dried off, then restarted the car. Afterward, it went back to normal.

Lesson learned: Don't clean the screen with wet material when it's ON.