Anyone Else Greatly Exceeding the EPA Range?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by nikfar, Jun 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nikfar

nikfar New Member

I bought my Niro EV on May 2 and have driven about 1k miles so far. My EV interface consistently shows the max 100% range at 296 miles and the estimate has been fairly accurate to the odometer thus far.

I was super happy to buy the car at 239 mile range but to be getting a good deal more than that just sweetens it. 20190603_080355.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. smgrover

smgrover New Member

Yes. I've got about 1500 miles on mine so far; about 80% city/20% hwy, averaging 4.3 mi/kWh. I've capped my charging at 80% for long term battery health and get 230-240 miles with that 80% and running climate full blast in Atlanta heat. When I charge it up to 100% I'm seeing 290-299. I agree that it seems accurate (maybe even a little low) comparing it with the odometer.

4. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I have only had my Niro EV about two weeks and I haven’t driven it very much but I did drive it 180 miles home from dealership at highway speeds (70-75 mph) and I still had more than 60 miles range when I got home. I had planned to charge at about halfway but when I got to the charging station I realized I had more than enough range to get home. For me this little experience is confirmation that the EPA rated range is very conservative.

I did a little research. It appears that the WLTP rating for the Kona Electric is 292 miles whereas the WLTP rating for the Niro EV is 282 miles. If compare the WLTP range to the EPA range then the 258 mile EPA range for the Kona Electric might be extrapolated to a 249 mile EPA equivalent range for the Niro EV.

5. RDA

RDA Member

I am seeing the same thing. About 293 miles at 100%. Around town that is pretty much what I am getting. With highway driving somewhere around 260-270. My only issue is that the usb port on my new EV is bad and has to be replaced before I can use Android auto. Seems like it came that way. Any one else have an issue using Android Auto?

6. smgrover

smgrover New Member

I had an issue with Android Auto, but it was the cable. You need a decent one for it, the cheap ones are fine for charging but don't do well with data transfer

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RDA

RDA Member

My cable is good. Even Kia service couldn't get it to connect using their cables, same with Apple Car Play so I have to get a new port.

9. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

The Niro has 3 driving modes: Eco, Normal and Sport. I'm assuming you guys are seeing these results in Eco mode?

The additional mileage range you guys are seeing appears to be consistent with Tom Moloughney who does EV reviews for InsideEVs. He recently wrapped up an 8 day press loan of Kia Niro EV and gave a two oral reports on his weekly appearance E for Electric youtube channel the past two Fridays. Here's a link to the his first oral report purporting the additional range.
    Good to some positive numbers and experiences for a change.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  10. RDA

RDA Member

i am getting these results in Normal. I haven't used eco yet.

11. smgrover

smgrover New Member

Mine is mostly Normal with a lit bit of Sport, no Eco.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Wow, I only drive in ECO, Normal and Sport mode are a luxury. When I received my Niro is was 100% and showing 458 kms, it was in winter mode. I have turned off winter mode and did a 100% charge and it was 489 kms, I was like wow. I wonder if we will be able to tweak in the future to get more range?

14. Allen C Keeney

Allen C Keeney New Member

I’m getting consistently 186-190....normal mode, mostly highway, but rush hour traffic, so not true highway.

15. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Can you try ECO on Hwy?

16. Allen C Keeney

Allen C Keeney New Member

Little typo, huge error. 286 to 290. I got 303 miles with the climate off this weekend.

17. TandM

TandM Active Member

We are at 7 weeks of ownership and nearing 3500 miles. We are consistently seeing 280+ with primarily highway miles. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

18. TandM

TandM Active Member

I have barely had my vehicle out of ECO and primarily drive on the highway (usually in a very unpopulated area so continually at 75mph or a little more with little to no braking).

19. Jay47

Jay47 New Member

We are showing 293 on the GOM at full charge. We pretty much stay in Eco mode. The odometer display shows our use rate at 4.2 kw/mi for the 3500 miles driven to date. We drive on rural roads, usually at <60 mph. Do have mountains, tho the loss due to elevation is less than I expected. Very happy w/ the car and the additional range. Am anxious to see how well it does in cold weather with the winter package.

20. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

TandM likes this.
  21. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Hi new member here. Received our Niro two weeks ago. We are in Canada, it only took seven weeks from order to delivery. Yesterday I charged it up to 100%. The GoM displayed 503Km. very impressed.
    IMG_20190714_152620.jpg

22. Jay47

Jay47 New Member

Woo Hoo, showing 303 mi. on the GOM this morning!

23. Gigi

Gigi New Member

Fully charged, I consistently get about 330 miles of range (give or take a few). In Eco mode, with moderate A/C use, and in-city driving, I average 4.9 to 5.2 miles per kWh, for about 320 driven miles. (Getting more miles than a Long Range Model 3 has been a pleasant and unexpected surprise.)

Barry W Finger likes this.