Any Californian not happy with fake HOV stickers being used by drivers? NBC iTeam wants to interview

Discussion in 'General' started by 4sallypat, Feb 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I brought up an issue with my local NBC channel 4 news about fake / novelty / copies of CA HOV carpool stickers being sold on eBay, Etsy, and at swap meets.

Here's a fake example of a set of 4 sold on Etsy for $50:
    [​IMG]
    Use of fake / novelty / copy HOV stickers seem to be more common as the latest regulations state only red and purple stickers vehicles for solo drivers.

I have seen many cars that obviously are not qualifying vehicles in the HOV lanes sporting fake stickers (no watermark - no reflective background logos).

NBC channel 4 news iTeam has contacted me and said this is worthy of a story to present on the news.

Is there anyone who would like to be on TV and give an interview along with their vehicle sporting the red or purple HOV stickers ?

I have not received my stickers from DMV which is why I would not be the perfect EV/PHEV candidate to be on TV.

The news crew will come to your location (home or business), take videos and photos of your car, HOV sticker along with an interviewer. The news van will arrive with the camera person and interviewer. Before it airs they will edit the news story with the fake stickers thrown into your story.

Please let me know if you are interested ?
    Southern California residents encouraged as NBC news is located in Burbank.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Sounds like it would be a good story as part of a larger exposure to the “ICE’d” phenomenon, as it is really a variation of the same theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

It’s ironic that I’m qualified with HOV red sticker and I don’t even apply for one. Reason: it won’t save me much time on freeway because there’re so many HOV in those lanes. Every day I see the same traffic jams in HOV lanes just like normal lanes . They should make all HOV lanes fast trak lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I think the reason why the congestion has been so bad was the white and green HOV stickered hybrids that were out there.
    Now, this year the new rules are in place for the red and purple stickers which should lessen the amount of cars in the HOV lanes.

I use FastTrak on the 10 freeway but having to pay for HOV access is sort of ridiculous!

6. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

I agree that California should kill the HOV lanes and only implement Fast Trak. Want less traffic? Pay up, baby! No more cheating with fake stickers. You don’t have Fast Trak transmitter, $25 + toll fee!

JT

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The change in law was meant to reduce congestion and comply with federal mandates re pace of HOV lanes during peak hours. Anyone using the HOV lanes regularly will tell you that has not and will not happen. To make matters even worse, cars with expired white/green stickers will be eligible for sticker renewal after 2020 if the registered owner "earns" less than $50,000. We will see even more cheating when it comes to the $50,000 threshold (just get a retired family member or dependent child to be the registered owner). The author of the new HOV sticker laws was California insurance commissioner Ricardo Lara. If we do the "Lara Math," then in 2020, we will have the existing red/purple sticker cars plus many of the old green/white sticker cars back in the HOV lanes. The result will simply be more congestion.

9. Further proof that we need to have minimum competency requirements for lawmakers. Nothing too fancy, just simple arithmetic and shape recognition. For example, does the number 23 come before or after 85?

assorted likes this.
  10. 4Sallypat -- personally, I think the better story would be to interview former assembly person Retahrdo Lara and ask how on Earth he though changing the sticker laws would reduce congestion, particularly when all the old white/green sticker cars will come back into the HOV lanes after 2020 under the "under $50,000 income" exception. Congestion hasn't reduced in any of the HOV lanes. I don't know where he learned his math considering my 4 year old understands math better. It's worse today than is was before 1/1/2019 and it will be even worse come 1/1/2020. The second interview should be with Gavin Newsome to explain why the CHP doesn't enforce HOV lane cheating with regularity. The amount of unrealized revenue is monumental. For instance, the state could capture up to $365 million annually from cheaters and use it for projects that have been neglected for too long because of state misappropriations.

11. Jeff Mitchell

Jeff Mitchell New Member

Fast Trak is definitely what they should be focussing on

12. To remove this ad click here.