Android Auto grayed out

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by cv_trail_runner, Mar 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cv_trail_runner

cv_trail_runner New Member

From the day I picked up my Kona EV, the Android Auto icon has been grayed out and I cannot find a way to get it to work. I have an Moto G5 Plus running Android 8.0 and have tried several different USB cables. I've tried connecting over USB while having Bluetooth on, or off, but neither does the trick. I verified that Android Auto was turned on in the "Screen Projection" settings. I have the Android Auto app installed on my phone. And yet, the Android Auto icon is still grayed out.

Any suggestions or pointers? Anything will be greatly appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is asking if you are using a cable specific for your Moto G5? They always lecture about having a product specific cable.
    I just read that people who had the same issue did this:

Go to System Settings-> About and tap on Build Number 7 times.
    When it says developer mode is enabled go to System Settings-> Developer Options and enable USB debugging.

Domenick likes this.
  4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

This may be grasping at straws, but have you run the app on your phone? I believe it requires some kind of initialization.

5. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

It's either not recognizing your phone or not recognizing Android App is installed. The dealer was supposed to have confirmed it worked for you as part of their delivery checklist.

The cord may indeed be the problem, though you say you've tried a few. Try going into Developer Options in your phone's settings and ticking the box to enable usb debugging, which should trigger a reaction when the cable is plugged in. If you can't find Developer Options in settings, Google it for your phone as the steps to ensure it vary (probably by tapping Build Number 7 times in About Phone). When you plug in your phone for Android Auto the first time I think you have to ok something on the phone, so check for that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Inside EVs mobile app

6. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

Oops, I take too long to type on my phone. I see CJC already mentioned developer options in the meantime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Inside EVs mobile app

CJC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cv_trail_runner

I tried all the suggestions you guys had so far and still no luck. I can't find anything specific to the Moto G5 Plus that might be a problem.

9. fiercely

fiercely Member

Does it work with any other Android device?

10. cv_trail_runner

I don't know yet... my wife has an iPhone. I'll try out a few different cables and an older Android device I have.

11. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Is your Android Auto app up dated?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

"Once connected, your Android phone will need to be switched to storage mode. Drag down the notification bar and tap Charging this device via USB. Switch the Use USB for option to File transfer (differs according to Android version and manufacturer). You will then be able to navigate your Android phone’s library on your car audio system."

This is older info about connecting to the car audio, but it reminded me that when you plug a live USB cable into the phone, you are offered a choice of connection modes. I don't recall doing this for Android Auto, but it might be worth experimenting.

14. cv_trail_runner

Just confirmed that Apple Car Play works with my wife's phone but AA would not work with my Moto G5 Plus. I tried 10 different cables including the original. Changed USB mode to Charging only and back to MTP (data transfer, which was set by default).

Next thing left is to try a different Android device.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Inside EVs mobile app

15. Unfortunately I had a loaner a year ago where I set up Android auto the first time, so I didn't do it with the Kona. I just plugged in and it basically worked.

Although I had the problem a couple times that it wouldn't turn on. I found that making sure the phone is unlocked (the screen) while you plug it into the car helped in those situations.

(I'm almost certain you probably tried that but just wanted to mention that.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

16. Another thing I just read: which version of Android do you have? Apparently it needs to be Android 5 or higher?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

17. Andyzd

Andyzd New Member

I had this problem when I got my new Kona, I tried everything without success.
    The problem in the end was that I was connecting my phone to the wrong USB socket. As soon as I connected to the second socket everything just started working. Now perfect.

Domenick likes this.