Am I entitled to a "battery pack capacity" reading?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jan 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

I noted on the Honda Clarity PDI that the dealer has to conduct a battery pack capacity reading. I have contacted the dealer 4 times to ask them for the results of that test. They have given me the massive run around. Even people at the service department have claimed that they don't know anything about this. The sales people have simply refused to answer my calls. Not sure if I should keep insisting or if I should give up. I was curious because my EV charge is not quite as high as I expected. Obviously I know that there are many factors such as temperature, driving practices etc but I would feel better knowing that the capacity was checked and was normal. I know that below 35 is considered "failed" and many people on this forum reported readings closer to 55.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In another thread it was agreed that the PDI procedure doesn't actually require "Checking Battery Pack Capacity." That procedure is listed under "NEW MODEL SERVICE INFORMATION," following the 20 steps required to complete the PDI.

Still, Honda dealers should be more accommodating to their customers than yours appears to be.

4. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Ozy

Entitled? No.

Should Honda USA include traction battery health information (ie) battery capacity test as one measure of this with the PDI? Yes they should.

Every consumer who buys a EV should be given this info as a matter of course with the other PDI info before leaving the dealership post sale.

Sounds like your dealer is uncooperative. Try contacting Honda USA for squirts and giggles to see if they will help. If not, perhaps,maybe, the next closest dealer will especially if you bring it there for your next service.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Rather than a confrontational approach challenging their PDI practices, why not just go to dealer with a legitimate complaint that needs to be checked, like “hey my car has lower range than I think it should, are you guys able to check, under Warranty, if there might be a problem brewing with the battery or elsewhere in the car?”

This will be my approach someday, closer to expiration of warranty, whether I feel I’m having a battery problem or not. Such a query should result in a new battery test. Then politely ask the results of the new test. Plus a new test is a heck of a lot more relevant than any old test.