Alternate touchscreen GUI with icons

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Thomas Mitchell, Feb 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I have been using the icon based GUI for a while now and find it superior to the menu based GUI that the car originally was running. It is available in the settings menu. You can customize icon sizes and arrangement so that information is more readily available, i.e. the drive mode display. Has anyone else been using it? IMG_0389.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Where in the settings menu? I never found that.

4. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Under settings, it is labelled "change skin". The configuration of the screens themselves is done with long-presses, IIRC.

I too use this display full time now, since you can have some useful info on the screen and still have one-press access to other data.

5. petteyg359

I didn't find it to enable "one-press" access. Tapping that small icon next to info to show the battery/engine/motor power flow display, it only came up as if I had pressed "info" on the text screen, and still prompted me with options and I had to select "energy" or whatever that item is called. I did end up arranging it nearly identical to that picture, but you forgot one button on yours :) The "apps app" (circle with a grid of dots in it) like there is on old Android phones, to show all available applications.

6. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

I should have been clearer. I change to the "Info" group as my normal display. That gets me a clock in the large square, and one-touch access to four other screens under Info. They are the ones I tend to want when driving.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I changed the skin tonight and find it much easier to use now. Thanks for the tip.

The only thing I cant determine how to change yet is the wallpaper

9. petteyg359

Somebody posted a link earlier to a "wallpaper maker" site, but all you really need is an image of the proper resolution and size. You can copy it from the USB drive with the photo viewer app on the car.

10. Thomas Mitchell

4sallypat, Texas22Step and izudin like this.
  11. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

Thanks for the link

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thomas Mitchell

This is the kind of information that deserves sticky threads but unfortunately the forum managers don’t want them, so the information is essentially lost and must be rediscovered again and again. Searches are only good if people know what to search for. It’s extremely difficult to gather information on this forum by browsing.

14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I did that for the clock but I have not been able to figure out how to "import' my own wallpaper to the GUI. Can you give me a hint? Thanks!

15. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

How do you get a custom made wallpaper? I imported from an usb drive on the 'change clock/wallpaper' option, it works for the clock but they don't appear as options to change to a new wallpaper.

16. Thomas Mitchell

Pls review the thread I linked to a few posts earlier. There is a YouTube video on the topic in that thread. I honestly don’t recal how I did it now

17. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Ugh! The WiFi password entry screen doesn't seem to allow spaces. Lame. I’m not changing my password just for this.

Kerbe likes this.
  18. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I applied the alternative (new) skin yesterday and like it a lot. However, does Android Auto still work when in this skin configuration of the head unit? I tried to get it to be visible, but did not succeed.

19. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Swipe the screens to see what is on the screens to the left or right, it's probably just on another screen.

If you find the missing icon, just press and hold, then slide it to where you want it to be.

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. Thomas Mitchell

If you look at the photo in my OP, you will see icon lower right corner of screen “Smartphone Connection”. That’s the Icon. Once you plug your phone in, it will be replace by an Icon for Android Auto, or Apple CarPlay, depending on the phone.

Texas22Step likes this.
  21. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Thanks to both @Thomas Mitchell and @sniwallof for their information to solve my problem with the new skin. I thank you both for taking the time to respond to me, and you are both right! (I put this incident over in my "senior moment" box, BTW, meaning I apologize for my own incredible stupidity!)

Thomas Mitchell likes this.
  22. Thomas Mitchell

No worries! It’s nice to have a community of like minded users to help out now and then!

23. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I still don't get why we have so many screens. I really don't want to be sliding between screens if I can get everything that I need on one screen. I forgot how many there are. Does anyone use the other screens? If so, for what?