All chargers in Salt Lake City are now free

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bpratt, Mar 3, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

In order to stimulate electric car growth and cut pollution in the Salt Lake Valley, our legislature has decided to make all public chargers free. They did cost $1 for the use and 10 cents per KWH.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

Yes, I live in supposedly "progressive" Minnesota. It is one of a few states where there is a $75 EV/PHEV SURCHARGE on registration with the logic that they're losing out on gasoline taxes.

Domenick likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

What morons...

5. dana

dana Member

From the Deseret News:
    In Utah, Sen. Wayne Harper's SB136 narrowly passed the Senate on a 15-12 vote Wednesday. It proposes a $122 fee for electric vehicles and $52 for plug-in hybrids. Advocates assert the lapsed tax credit for electric vehicles — the $1,500 incentive ended in 2016 — coupled with the increased fees will signficantly slow the rate of electric vehicle adoption in Utah.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Well if they’re looking to slow the adoption rate of electric vehicles, they’re on the right path.

8. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Domenick likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Utah vs Washington - which one has it's head proverbially up...

10. JKroll

JKroll Member

non progressive Indiana charges 150 ... i wont even be using clarity that much to recover this.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. JimW

JimW Active Member

Here in Tennessee, as part of a recent gas tax bill to fund roads, they added a $100 registration surcharge for EV's. I read the actual bill and it only applies to BEV's, not to hybrids nor PHEV's. (My guess is the legislators don't even know what a PHEV is.) I expect that we will see more of this as public sentiment is against EV drivers not helping to fund the roads, even though this disincentive flies in the face of all the incentives to purchase and operate EV's.

Domenick likes this.
  13. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

Here in North Carolina they have a $130 annual surcharge for full electric vehicles. PHEV's don't get punished since they also can burn gasoline.

14. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

So this $130 presumes 13k miles of driving each year (assuming 40mpg). Our neighbors have a Bolt which I am sure they do not drive close to that much, which means they pay a high highway tax than an ICE vehicle.