Actual 0-60 times?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Rothgarr, Oct 15, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

How "quick" is the Clarity PHEV?

I see that Car & Driver published 7.7 seconds, but when I watch YouTube videos of real people it's more like 9 seconds.

I wouldn't get a car like this to race, but I'm curious how acceleration works at various states of depressing the accelerator (I know there's a point of resistance before the ICE kicks in). I assume EV-only 0-60 is slower than mashing the pedal down where both engines are working?

I guess I'm curious what 0-60 times are for:
    - EV only
    - ICE only
    - Both

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

EV definitely 9ish but feels much faster . Take say a base civic and from 0 you're immediately at 5500 rpm. That's how I explain it to people. Loool

Using gas and electric sport mode it feels mid 7s

4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Alex on Autos did both. In EV only, he got about 9.5 seconds and with both, he got 7.5 seconds. I believe the Li ion battery alone can deliver 120 hp, ICE + battery delivers 181 hp max from the traction motor, and 212 hp ICE + battery + clutch engaged. That 212 hp is only achievable at higher speeds (above 45 mph) because the clutch won't engage until then. The car feels quick in EV mode because you get all the torque right off the line. Just for context, the Prius Prime all out takes 10.2 seconds to get to 60 mph. It's a real dog.

neal adkins likes this.
  5. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Anyone try timing Econ vs. Normal vs. Sport? Sport definitely feels way faster in acceleration to me.

6. dnb

dnb Active Member

Sport mode uses both ICE and EV at most times right for acceleration? While HV and Econ will try to use EV only more often?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. EVMugen

EVMugen New Member

It is not fast at all but i love my new clarity :)

9. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

In Sport and even Normal mode, you'll fire up the ICE well before you hit the "click" point of the accelerator. In Sport, it is possible to stay in EV mode by keeping a light foot. In Econ mode, the throttle response is recalibrated so less juice goes to the traction motor as you press through the accelerator compared to the other modes. ICE should only fire up after the click point in Econ. Whether the acceleration is maximum, i.e., same as other modes, when you floor it (all the way, pass the click point), I really don't know. Nonetheless, if you feel you are in need of power, best to push the Sport button.

insightman likes this.
  10. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone.

I currently drive a 2007 Suzuki SX4 (5 speed manual) and when new it had a published 0-60 of 9.0 seconds. i can't remember how quick it felt back then, but it feels real slow now.

11. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Based on the fact that in the real world very few people really accelerate at all, in EV only mode I usually have 8 car lengths by the time I'm up to the speed limit so those that say its a dog don't drive real world. Sure on a race track yes but how many people drive on a race track .. nobody.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

My main reasons for asking are for two scenarios:
    - There's a major four lane road I need to cross and turn left at every day. There is no traffic light and during rush hour you can sometimes have to wait over five minutes before there's an opportunity to turn left (any other access road would be at least ten minutes out of the way). When the opportunity presents itself, you need to floor it.
    - General merging onto highways. Most around here give you ample room but some onramps have a stop sign at the highway entrance with no on-ramp lane (Saw Mill Parkway, for example).

14. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

The car has huge torque down low, left turns are a breeze , for faster on ramp merging switch to sport mode and engage the engine

15. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

16. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

You can drive in Sport and stay electric as long as you don't press the go pedal so hard that the white needle goes beyond the blue section of the power gauge and into the white 'ICE' zone.
    upload_2018-10-16_20-33-0.png