AC Charging stopped

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mruhland, Sep 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Just had my car for about a month. This evening it is not charging. Notice says ‘charging stopped check AC charger. I have been charging with the trickle charger that came with the car. The part at the plug is green indicating charging but at the car port it is white then red then off. Of course this happens when it is low - 40% and on Saturday evening. I tried changing the limit for charging and charging schedule but still wont charge. Also tried unplugging the charger itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As a start if you have no other backup EVSE, I might suggest to try a local public L2 AC charging station (if you have one available close to your location - check Plugshare) to verify the on board charger in the car is operating. That would at least eliminate the car as being at fault.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That sounds familiar :-(.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. The symptoms sound the same but I am hoping it is the EVSE. Hopefully the latter is the case here as there was no mention of the BMS update being done previous to the occurrence;
    Unlike your first indication in this evolving thread:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/bms-update-fail.9389/
    The only way to find out is to try another EVSE

6. Maple

Maple Member

May try to push the button beside the charging port. It will by pass all schedules and limits. If it works it means you have some incorrect settings otherwise try another charger. I think OBC failure chance is rare.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Thanks . I tried the push button to no avail. Will try a charging station nearby tomorrow. Also there was a warning about the auxiliary battery? Can’t recall the exact wording

9. My Ohme charger at home needed to be switched off for a minute and then restarted, at which point it downloaded latest firmware and has worked ever since.

10. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

I am trying a public level 2 charger. So far so good.

11. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Public level 2 charging worked fine. Good to know its not the vehicle. Will call the dealership tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Maple, KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Glad you're at least on the way to a resolution!

14. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Update: Yes it is the charger. My level 2 should be up and running next week. The dealership has been charging my car while providing me a loaner which was a gas Kona. Have to say I love the electric - much better performance and less noise than the gas. The replacement charger will be coming in October. If my level 2 charger wasn’t being hooked up soon, the dealership would look into a better solution such as providing me with an electric loaner in the meantime. They are working on this with Hyundai. The first person I spoke with at dealership wasnt very helpful but another service manager is very accommodating and worked out a solution. Apparently this was a new guy. So hope he was told to work out solutions with customers.

apu and Fastnf like this.