2019 Clarity Schedule

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by GetClarity, Jun 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GetClarity

GetClarity New Member

I’m not needing to make a vehicle purchase until early 2019, though it would be nice to purchase before the end of 2018 to limit the time until tax credit, or maybe get a great deal on a 2018 model.

I don’t think there is anything purchasable in the market like the Clarity. Leaf was fun to drive if I could accept the size and interior finish trade off, but I refuse to buy the vehicle without active battery temperature management that appears to be key to battery longevity. Rumor is that 2019 will have active battery temp management with LG Chem cells, at least an option for over 225 mike range, and increased torque making it more of a model 3 competitor - could be compelling.

What are your predictions on when 2019 Clarity specs will be released and when 2019 Clarity’s will enter show rooms? How do you think this will compare to Leaf’s spec release and rollout (I’ve seen into 2019 for long range, so will short range have active battery temp management)? Have all 2018 Clarity’s that will be produced been delivered? Will the 2019 Clarity have the much requested lumbar support, updated infotainment, improved torque with ICE blocked? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Yoda says:
    Beyond your years, wise you are.
    Questions have you, trustworthy answers have I not.

Mesa and Omgswify like this.
  4. chris5168

chris5168 Member

I’m wondering the same questions for 2019 MY changes.

My wish list in no particular order:
    Power Folding mirror with memory
    HUD option
    Non-metallic color options (chrome delete would never happen but would be nice)
    Black interior with black headliner
    Removal of fake vents in rear bumper
    Better wheel design without plastic covers
    ‘Sport’ edition
    Volume knob with faster UI
    Love the the mirror camera, but true blind spot monitoring
    Bigger side emblems (kidding)

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda doesn't usually make any changes until a model is 2 or 3 years into its run. I'd be flabbergasted if the seats were changed because I doubt the lack of lumbar support adjustment has significantly affected Clarity sales--most cars don't have seats as comfortable as the Clarity's IMHO. Updating the infotainment system would be expensive, considering how it's linked into the hybrid system--again without guaranteeing increased sales. Updates to fix known operational problems are certainly possible, but Honda won't be advertising those updates.

It took 2 years for Honda to stretch the 2nd-gen Insight's engine's Auto-Stop from an annoyingly short 30 seconds to a full minute.

Kendalf likes this.
  6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Happily, all of your questions will be answered before you plan to buy! Perhaps you should consider buying the last week of December. End of the year/month quotas will need to be met at Honda dealers (so they may be eager to deal), you'll get the fastest possible turn-around on the tax credit, and you'll know if the '19 Clarity has any changes from the '18. And, bonus, the '19 Leaf should be out by then so you'll be able to do the direct comparison thing.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetClarity

GetClarity New Member

You probably know better than I the speed at which Honda provides updates. However, the 2017 Pilot got an infotainment update one year after the new generation was released. That update included provision of Apple Carplay that Honda says the 2016 hardware isn't powerful enough to support - which I have to think would cause a major resale hit on the 2016.

@Sandroad - I don't know if I have the patience to actually wait! That's why I'm impatient about the schedule for more information:) I'm also concerned suitable (to my liking) vehicles may not be left on the lots, forcing an even longer wait.

9. insightman

With the Pilot at the top of Honda's line, Carplay/Android Auto compatiblility was an essential update from a competitive standpoint. Unlike adjustable lumbar support, memory mirrors, and head-up display, phone integration quickly became a must-have feature for many customers. The Clarity's infotainment system could be better, but it's not lacking this essential capability.

10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Ah, the wait/no-wait dilemma. In that case, I recommend considering adopting my philosophy on purchasing computers/phones/tablets, etc. Don't wait for the "next features". There will ALWAYS be something new on the horizon and if you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll never buy. My wife and I know there are many PHEVs and BEVs coming on the market in the next few years and we could have waited for the compact AWD SUV we hope for, but opted to go for the Clarity now. I'm sure happy we did; it's a great car! Carpe Diem. ;)

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

At best you'll see software updates and maybe a new infotainment system with volume knob (because those are showing up in almost all of the rest of their line). I'd doubt there will be anything earth shattering or even give 2018 owners a lot of buyer's remorse or envy.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetClarity

GetClarity New Member

Anybody know when 2018 PHEVs started being available at US dealerships?

14. insightman

Right after you get your 2019 Clarity PHEV, Honda will announce they're going to sell their Sports EV. In the USA. With lots of acceleration, handling, range, and THREE knobs on the infotainment system. Believe me (the phrase I use to end fake news).

[​IMG]

CaryLyn and Johnhaydev like this.
  15. Omgswify

Omgswify Member

Off topic but if u wait there will be the new leaf and there’s a Kona Electric I’m excited to see.

16. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

About Dec 1st.

17. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

I am in the same situation. But I don’t expect any hardware charge.

18. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Isn't that actually a 2029 model?

19. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

I was waiting for the Model 3 until time ran out on my 10 year old Infiniti. Happily the Clarity PHEV had just arrived and I went for it. Absolutely no regrets. Great car that I'll keep for at least 3 years. In that time many more choices will appear, including an upgraded Clarity I hope, and many more charging stations to make a BEV more attractive. Clarity is so good there's really nothing in a plug in to wait for.

20. GetClarity

GetClarity New Member

I am unfortunately not confident in Hyundai’s ability to secure batteries for more than a couple dozen Kona EVs in the US, and zero outside of CA.

Omgswify likes this.