2019 Canadian Federal Budget - EV Tax Incentive

Discussion in 'General' started by Brennan Raposo, Mar 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Hey all!
    Today is budget day! And thankfully, the feds have included a $5,000 tax incentive for 2019 for anyone who purchased a new electric or hydrogen powered vehicle with a “base price” of less than $45,000.

we don’t have too many details yet, but I wonder if any of us who purchased the Kona Ultimate trim would qualify. Technically speaking the Kona Electric “base price” will be $42,000 CAD once the preferred trim is released. The Ultimate is merely a “upgrade package”.

Would be interesting to see if it works out in our favour. I could use another $5k!

Kitsilano likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Former Federal public servant here - there's a good chance this will only apply to cars bought after April 1, 2019. That's the beginning of the Federal budget year and when the funding kicks in. These things rarely apply retroactively. I hope it does because I pick my Kona up on Saturday - a few days before the Federal fiscal new year. :(

4. At least every ev driver will benefit with the increase of DCFC charger deployment ( Natural resources $130 million) .

5. This legislation is garbage. There's literally no way anyone in government had a clue about EV pricing before they set this threshold. There is nothing but short(er) range bare bones vehicles available at this price point.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Paul K and Brennan Raposo like this.
  8. It's the Sun. Enough said. They bash Trudeau in the weather report.

* The Post. Same angle. Fewer bikinis.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Paul K, Brennan Raposo and Domenick like this.
  9. I mean, I don't mind people being critical of politicians. Personally, I find Trudeau great in some respects and very disappointing in others (I'm living in Florida and not as plugged into CDN politics as y'all), I just found it a bit too foamy-at-the-mouth to be helpful.
    Anyway, now I'm worried I'm sending this thread off-topic, so if anyone has some good coverage of the legislation, please share.

It seems to me the $$ threshold was set way to low to be useful. I believe the Kona Electric, at least in Ultimate trim, won't be eligible.

10. There is no real coverage because there is no real policy yet. It's all TBA which, unfortunately, means that the federal government has sown uncertainty and has probably actually slowed the ev market in Canada for the foreseeable future. Who's going to buy when there's 5k in the balance? Nice planning, he?

Domenick likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Saw an article yesterday that confirmed the Kona EV and the Tesla 3 will not qualify for the $5000 Federal subsidy.

13. Ya. Apparently the "middle class" are only allowed low level trims.

14. Perhaps the administration does't want you travelling too far ( in case of any discrepancy );)

15. Bleepo

Bleepo New Member

E-Shark and electriceddy like this.
  16. News!!!

https://electrek.co/2019/04/17/canadas-electric-car-incentive-tesla-ineligible/

What are the chances it's retroactive? I'm guessing zero with my luck and track record with government money.
    *Just went to the government website. Nope. Not eligible if purchased before May 1st. I guess an electric car bought with your own money and under your own volition doesn't count for as much as one bought after momma government says it's the right thing to do.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  17. So why is the 2019 Kona Ultimate even listed as being eligible in the chart?:confused: Unless someone got one sweet deal or has anyone actually been able to lease one?
    My guess is Transport Canada WILL exercise their right to withdraw it from the list.
    Wildeyed link to page that shows "after May 1 only"
    Edit, found it
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles.html

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  18. Because it only needs to have a base model available at that price. The preferred qualifies so the higher trim Ultimate does too. Same with the Bolt. The standard trim qualifies so the higher Premier trim is eligible.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Great so now my car has taken a $5k depreciation hit, Thanks Ottawa! Worth contacting local mp

20. Great so no Liberal MPs on the island, any Kona owners living in Vancouver ( or anywhere in B.C.) with one of these MPs :
    https://www.liberal.ca/mp/
    Could you help explain the depreciation hit we now take for trying to be environmentally conscious ?

21. When I bought my Toyota Echo, way back when, the Ontario government introduced a budget with an incentive for fuel efficient cars two DAYS later. I got nothing. The Ontario government ditched it's incentives while I was shopping for my current car. Now this. I all sucks.