12 volt battery dead after 3 1/2 weeks

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bpratt, Feb 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I left on vacation with the traction battery at 2/3 but when I returned, the 12 volt battery was dead so the car would not start. I put a 2 amp charger on the battery overnight and it was back up to 12 volts the next morning.
    When I pushed the start button, I got several error messages and the screen ended with a message saying "Anti Theft System This system has lost power. Push and hold the power button for more than two seconds to enable the system." I tried pushing and holding the start button several times but the message would not go away and I can not display anything else on the screen.
    Anyone have an idea how to reset this problem before I schedule a service appointment with my Honda dealer? One other note: the traction battery was still at 2/3 after charging the 12 volt battery.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I would have the dealer check out the 12 volt battery. It should not have last charge. Most of the error messages will reset after you drive the car a few days.

4. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Called the dealer service department and was told the start button the message was referring to is the button on the screen that is marked audio. Once I held that button down for two seconds, the screen came back on and the error message disappeared.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  5. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this problem. I will go out and pushing the audio button for 2 seconds. I tried the “Power” button just everyone else. I hope HONDA updates the written message to indicate they are referring to the audio power button. I guess I will have to investigate why this happened, maybe there is something wrong with my 12 V battery. Thanks again to everyone. Crossing my fingers the fix will work for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I went on vacation for 12 days and no issues. 70% charged, not charging, not plugged in, keys not in the car.

If the keys are in the car the car can be in a ready state which will eventually drain the 12 volt battery.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I would have the dealer test the battery. Perhaps car sat for a long time on the lot before vehicle was sold, or perhaps you left something turned on.

9. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I took delivery on the car the day it arrived at the dealer in December 2017. Battery tests good and nothing was left on. The next time I go on a 3 or 4 week vacation, I will leave a 2 amp charger on the 12 volt battery.

10. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

My 12 volt battery totally discharged this weekend, but for completely different reasons. I had a 240 volt outlet installed and was charging on my dual-voltage EVSE for the first time on 240, and it was not happy for some reason (I assume it's due to the issue in service bulletin 18-097) - it would charge for about a minute, stop charging for a minute or two, then start charging again, and kept cycling on and off like this. While it eventually fully charged the high-voltage battery, apparently the 12 volt battery didn't like all that cycling for some reason. Once I hooked up my jump-start battery it started up fine, although a bunch of errors popped up that went away after I reset the anti-theft feature on the entertainment system.

I have an appointment Friday to try to get the 18-097 fix installed, along with any other service bulletins that might be outstanding.