Looking to buy a Used EV - Opinions requested!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mattsburgh, May 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Which Used EV (or EVs) do you think is/are the best?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2020.
  1. Chevy Spark EV

71.4%
  2. Ford Focus Electric

14.3%
  3. Kia Soul EV

42.9%
  4. Nissan Leaf

28.6%
  5. Volkswagen e-Golf

57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. You might want to consider the Fiat 500e as well. I got a Spark EV last summer but came very close to getting the Fiat. I like the interior (and exterior) design a bit more. Both are pretty fun to drive, though.

Also, I'd also look out for a used BMW i3. I saw one this morning for under $10K with about 30,000 miles, so there are deals out there.
    Actually, I just took look at Fiat 500e's available near me and I'm tempted to sell my 2015 Spark and move to a 2017 500e for about the same money.

Mattsburgh and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'd say that if 80 to 90 mile range is enough for someone, the Spark is the #1 choice.. Solid built, quality battery and everything is overengineered.
    The i3 is a fantastic car for the money but the pre 2017 i3 still costs a lot more than a Spark without offering more range. I'd recommend the 94ah version which started in 2017 which gives you a solid 100 to 130 mile range, even up to 150 miles around town.. Another plus for the Spark is that it's a Chevy.. If something ever breaks, it'll be cheaper to fix than the BMW. So far, we really like the BMW but we are aware that if something major breaks on the i3, it may not be worth fixing it as it will be thousands to fix.. I tried to talk my wife out of the BMW to get the Bolt instead.. but she insisted on the BMW.. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be problem free.. It certainly is a fun little car and also looks great.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Domenick likes this.
  4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I have a friend who bought a Spark EV circa 2013 and was quite happy with it. He recently traded it for a Bolt to get increased range, but other than wanting to travel farther without needing to charge, he had no complaints about the Spark.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tesla just dropped the prices of the Model S/X/3 by thousands of dollars. Tesla also sells used cars for a significant savings ... even more now.

Bob Wilson

6. FloridaSun

Nice! I wonder if they'll also drop Model Y prices.. I'm still leaning towards getting a Cybertruck.. I may even put in a reservation soon..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. With Model Y production still ramping up, gross margin may still be too low for them to make price adjustments. And, if demand is outstripping supply by any amount, it doesn't make sense to cut price too much yet.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. FloridaSun

I personally lean towards the Cybertruck anyways but my wife likes the Model Y.. If it was completely my call, it would be the mid range Cybertruck..

Domenick likes this.
  10. I'll try to keep this short but I thought I'd follow up since I asked the question and several people were nice enough to take time to chime in. So when I started looking for a second EV to use as a commuter car, I was leaning towards an inexpensive used Leaf since there are so many out there. Eventually I talked myself out of it b/c of battery degradation issues (even though I still think a Leaf from non southern state with 11-12 bars on the capacity meter is probably a good, safe bet for the right price). I then was leaning towards the Focus Electric b/c I had a C-Max Energi and loved it, and the interior of the Focus Electric was similar ... but with one major flaw, Sync system for the most part , vs. Sync3 which is much better. About the time I created this thread, I had switched and decided the Soul EV was my best choice. (I guess you're starting to see why I asked everyone for their help :D )

Anyway, if you recall I said I had a "least favorite", which I didn't tell you when I posted, but I will tell you now that it was the Spark EV. I didn't like the cheap look of the gear selector area / wide open / no middle console ... etc. It is the one that I kept thinking "you should like this more than you do". Then, of course, as you all know, most of you recommended the Spark EV. So then I watched some You Tube videos of people with Spark EVs and I thought... you know, I really do like the all LED dash, pretty cool. And I started to warm to the car, even though I was still pretty much in love with the Soul EV and in fact had already been negotiating with several different dealers for a Soul EV.

Well this comment is long enough already... I made a choice, the car arrived yesterday, and I'll post a few pictures of the car I bought tomorrow along with my first impressions; things I like, things I don't like...

11. Congratulations on your decision. Look forward to seeing pics and hearing your impressions, both good and bad.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The winner.... 2020-06-16 17.18.06.jpg 20200616_130054.jpg 20200616_130108.jpg 20200616_130121.jpg

Clamps, electriceddy and FloridaSun like this.
  14. So far I really like the car. The sound system sucks, but that's ok b/c I knew it would and I'm just going to upgrade it at some point. The seats aren't bad, it's the seating position itself that has given me the most problem so far. I'm 6 feet tall and 250 so not having any thigh support is not comfortable, combined with I want the seat to go back at least another 2 inches if not 3. So that's easily my biggest problem / negative so far. I'm going to try and work on it and see if I can figure out a way to provide thigh support esp. on the right side. As for positives, it's solid, drives great, the battery appears to be in top shape, it's cute as hell, easy to zip here and there, super tight turning radius which already came in handy the other night, has DC Fast charging which is a cool plus.... I love the blue accents inside on the dash.... all around I really like it and just want to work out the issue with driving position comfort.

15. [QUOTE=" all around I really like it and just want to work out the issue with driving position comfort.[/QUOTE].

Probably the easiest fix would be to replace the seat with an after market sports seats. I have changed lots of seats especially in race cars for a more comfortable driving experience. If your not a DYI any performance auto shop could help you with the retrofit of a new seat. Higher end brands are Momo, Recaro, Corbeau, Sparco and the like. There are less expensive brands as well though not quiet the comfort and quality of those mentioned. I am not talking about racing seats but the fully adjustable sports seats which give both the comfort and support for active driving

Mattsburgh likes this.
  16. Thank you!! That's a great idea and I will be looking into it. I really appreciate the suggestion.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sorry, I missed it. What did you get?

Bob Wilson

18. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Wait, a *2016* car does DCFC? It it true ISO15118 CCS? I thought that didn't
    really start getting built in till later, but then again I wasn't really paying
    attention until a year ago.

_H*

19. My 2015 Spark EV has DC fast charging as well. Of course, it doesn't play well with Electrify America, but on the other hand, I only charge at home anyway.

20. I was considering trying DC fast later today but the weather is nice so I've just been charging at home most of the day. Domenick, I saw a video about a quirk with getting DC fast to work, you have to hold the handle up just a bit until the charge starts. Let me find the video I saw... (maybe you already saw this and tried it).

Ok I found it:

21. I haven't seen this. I'll have to give it a shot, even though it strikes me as pretty odd. Thanks so much for sharing.

electriceddy and Mattsburgh like this.
  22. Helps the electrons flow when raising the handle, once current starts streaming in, it will be maintained by gravity and atmospheric pressure:D

mho, Domenick and Fastnf like this.
  23. haha, I wondered if there's a "lock" that occurs so that once it starts charging you can let go and the handle won't budge, but I haven't tried it yet and may not anytime soon as it occurred to me the nearest DC Fast to me is EVgo and it's MUCH closer than the nearest EA charger to me, by about half an hour.