Are EV owners more scared of COVID-19 than ICE owners?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FloridaSun, May 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I thought it was kind of interesting that 66% of NY covid-19 hospital cases were from people sheltering inside. Even the governor was "shocked" at that news. And the nursing home deaths there are scandalous. Seem like Florida, who has far more old people than NY, has done a much better job of looking after their vulnerable.

So maybe we should be asking why are they telling us to shelter inside when it is actually safer to be outside.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Of course, it is a serious issue. It will likely cause 2 - 3 times the deaths than the flu causes. However, the way the media and the so called "experts" predicted it, it would have been 20 - 30 times worse. The predicted "curve" by the experts was wrong. Florida is already opening back up. Beaches are open as are parks. On Monday, Salons and Nail Salons will open up already.. Restaurants are already open for dine in but at reduced capacity. Florida's death are still below the seasonal flu and yet, we had less restrictions than NY or NJ... Florida's Hospitals never reached 30% occupancy.. Tampa has like 50 cases of COVID-19 in the hospital.. Unused ventilators everywhere..

4. Harvey

Harvey Member

the original numbers were also numbers for if nothing was done to prevent it.
    lets put those in proper perspective and not blow this out of the water.
    it's a far cry from impotus and 15 to 0 over 2 weeks, 0 deaths, and gone as stated on feb 26.

5. So why were our medical experts in Feb still saying not to worry??
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/
    And some politicians as late as in March were still advocating to go to restaurants and social gatherings. It was actually potus that took early action to ban travel from China and then EU. And then started the clamp down guidelines with the 15 mitigation guide, which was extended a couple times.

There were a lot of misconceptions/speculation about this virus back then esp what the media was saying. Instead of bringing up politics, though, how about if we stick to the original topic.

6. Harvey

Harvey Member

early february, yes. by the end they weren't. that was impotus. feb26 he said 15 would turn to zero when asked about cases in the states. experts were saying different then.
    he'd known for over a month already.
    and yes, some POLITICIANS were.
    not any medical EXPERTS by the end of march though.
    and many politicians had already started imposing lockdowns way before impotus too.
    and the media ALL said it was bad, except the impotus fellaters.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, instead of placing blame where you want it, why not point to China, who let this virus get away, and did not allow outside experts to come in and help them (and us)? And the WHO who were supposed to be on top of things like this. They certainly didn't help us.

Now we all have suffer through this, with the world economy destroyed. And who knows when it will get back to a normal, where people can feel confident to fully enjoy life again.

9. FloridaSun

Let's look at Sweden.. Sweden did NOT lock down.. Business as usual with some precautions but they didn't kill their economy.. and.... they don't have much different outcome than the countries that locked down. I had a regular check up with my primary care physician. She is a board certified physician and she also thinks that the response to this was unnecessary.. She said that this virus is so contagious and eventually, everyone will get it and just like the flu, people will develop antibodies. She also said that only people who are old or have conditions like high obesity or diabetes should stay home and wear masks etc.. but healthy people below 60 should not be too worried about it.

10. In General I think you and your physician are correct, however one thing to keep in mind is that Sweden is mostly not as densely populated as some areas here in the US (NY, LA, SF, etc) or other parts of the world. However especially for very rural areas I believe it was total overkill.

11. FloridaSun

Did you know that over 30% of NY COVID-19 deaths were in Nursing Homes... Sheltering in place...
    The vast majority of the people who died from it had one of the following conditions:

1) over 70 years old
    2) severely obese
    3) diabetic
    4) history of heart issues like strokes etc.

So, instead of government just taking precautions for the elderly and those with conditions, they locked down everyone and killed the economy.
    Especially the nursing home deaths could have been prevented.. Require visitors to wear masks etc. from the beginning and disposing them on the way out. If you don't dispose your mask immediately, your mask can spread the virus as the virus can survive on it for days. They should also have tested their employees. Florida focused initially on nursing homes and the death rate in Florida in nursing homes was relatively low to other states. Most of our workforce is NOT in a "at risk" demographic for the virus and therefore, the economy should not have been shut down. COVID-19 is a serious threat but not dangerous enough to justify shutting down the country. Like I said, based on studies and based on prison tests, the majority of those infected does not have symptoms and therefore won't get tested which results in significant undercounting of actual cases. The lack of symptoms for over 90% of those infected is the most dangerous thing about this virus. They are spreading it without even knowing that they have it. That's also the reason why my doctor thinks that most people will eventually get it anyways, shut down or no shut down.. Well over 99% who will be infected will not have any complications with the virus..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yeah, the cookie cutter approach doesn't work for everyone. And what they learned in NYC is shelter inside is not necessarily the best either.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html
    Which makes me wonder why in some areas they don't let people out on the beaches. Studies have shown the virus doesn't survive well outside, esp in the sun, and vitamin D from the sun also helps to resist virus infections. It is this over reach that makes people less trusting of politicians and even health officials (with their changing advice).

14. @BlueKonaEV @R P Oh I agree that the shelter in place wasn't the best approach. I believe that especially right now, politicians have no clue what to do. You can tell by how many have a well thought out and time plan to open back up. They say so, but really, they don't. And then there is the ones who just don't believe our listen to scientists etc. because they know so much better. It's a disgrace. They don't work together, they don't look at other countries to see what could be improved. We might as well have no politicians.

I am exaggerating here a little bit but unfortunately it is true to an astonishing high level.

15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I'm just going to wait and see what happens two weeks from about now.

In the meantime, the ICE drivers can have fun wiping down gas pump handles.

_H*

16. Some interesting stats and comparisons here about the 4 most most populous states in the US. Mortality rate is based on actual deaths due to CV and population, not just those that contracted it and died. FL and TX almost the same despite differences with what they have open. TX is best and NY worst. Finances also interesting...

[​IMG]

17. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Wait another couple of weeks...

_H*

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

For hospital saturation, it starts. For deaths, it seems to take another 2-3 weeks. There is no joy in my post.

IMHO, July 4th will not be a happy day this year.

Bob Wilson

19. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Texas and Florida look great.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Excellent. It will be easy to convert them to change political majorities.

Bob Wilson

21. I think what matters most is social distancing and lots of sanitizing. Here in BC, they never did close down everything, and non-essential businesses were allowed to stay open and continue. Just had to observe and practice the mitigation rules, incl no gatherings of 50 people or more. People here have been really good about that, whether walking on the street or in a store. A lot of parks were closed for a while, and people were advised to stay home as much as possible, but things were gradually opened up. And now parks open, beaches open, inside restaurants, personal services, traffic is near normal, and everyone adapting well to the new normal (social distancing, etc, still continuing).

New CV cases and deaths almost nil here now. No community outbreaks for a while, only new cases in contained situations like nursing homes. Daily new cases (7 day avg) peaked near end of March and now nearing zero. Today was only 2 new cases since yesterday.
    upload_2020-5-19_18-8-28.png

22. Harvey

Harvey Member

our infection in canada came mostly from the states.
    not closing our southern border sooner cost us this.
    and swedens deaths are great, and their goal of herd immunity is nowhere to being obtained.
    you can also look to brazil, who didn't lock down and are now in a race with russia to top the usa.
    our worst infections here in alberta were in the meat packing plants.
    if it wasn't for cruise line returnees, we'd have none in the north.

should add, canada has now surpassed china for cases.
    so we aren't slowing down yet.

23. In Canada, I believe BC had the very first infection (North Van nursing home) same timing as WA and CA early outbreaks, and we did have a lot of travel from China (until it got stopped). Regardless, we all know that the pandemic started in Wuhan where they failed to contain it. I think eastern Canada (Ontario and Quebec) got it bad because of spring break, and also travellers coming in from Iran and EU where it was ramping up. We also had a pop up in BC at meat packing plants, and prisons, in mid Apr if you look at my above chart. But they seemed to do a good job of containing that.

The stats here in BC right now, though, are quite encouraging. This is our govt site and a couple pages down you can look at the daily updates.
    http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
    The good news here is that there are no new community outbreaks for a while, just new cases in existing outbreaks (mostly nursing homes) which are contained. While we were never full locked up here (non-essential business were allowed to continue with mitigation rules), more and more "risky" businesses (personal services) are opening up now. And schools can start June 1 (I think that is the biggest risk). So I hope it doesn't get out of control again.

Some are predicting a 2nd wave in the fall. We can only hope by then we will have more/better therapeutic capabilities to protect our vulnerable, and maybe even a vaccine. Regardless I don't think we will be fully back to normal for a year or more. The travel/tourist industry will be the hardest hit.