Review of the Clarity from "The Globe & Mail" (April 9, 2020)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan McInerney, Apr 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

4. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Odd; the whole article showed up on my screen (w/out a subscription)

Honda Clarity has all the appeal of a battery-electric car, without range anxiety

Jeremy Sinek Special to The Globe and Mail

While Toyota has become the poster brand for hybridism, let’s not forget that Honda has been in the game almost as long. In fact, Honda’s first hybrid, the original Insight, came to Canada in 1999, a year before the seminal Toyota Prius (though the Prius was first in Japan).

Be that as it may, Honda’s scattershot approach has failed to have much impact here. For example, even this writer, a devoted long-time owner of a 1985 CRX, was not smitten by the CR-Z, which resurrected the CRX concept as a hybrid in the early 2010s. Currently, Honda’s electrified offerings comprise the compact sedan Insight, and the midsize sedans Accord Hybrid and Clarity; a hybrid version of the CR-V compact crossover is also coming.

The Clarity is currently Honda’s eco flagship vehicle. In some parts of the world, it’s sold in three versions – fully battery-electric, hydrogen-fuel-cell electric, and plug-in hybrid – though in Canada, we only get the third one, PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle). Other brands’ midsize sedan PHEV alternatives include the Ford Fusion and Kia Optima, while a PHEV version of Hyundai’s all-new Sonata is surely coming.

The Clarity offers two trims, asking $40,990 and $44,990, respectively, and an engineering approach different than the opposition – basically less mechanical, more electrical. The Clarity’s gas engine is only 1.5 litres versus the opposition’s 2-litre fossil-fuel burners, but its battery capacity (17 kWh) and electric power (135 kW) are respectively 7 kWh and 47 kW more than the competition’s best efforts.

The Clarity’s claim of an electric range of 77 kilometres handily outstretches the next-best Kia (45 km), but something has to give: the Clarity’s gas tank is only 26.5 litres. That results in a combined NRCan (National Resources Canada) range of only 475 km, while the Ford and Kia each claim almost 1,000 km.

Still, on long drives, most people’s bladders and/or caffeine cravings would mandate a stop every 300–400 km anyway. Finding gas obviously isn’t an issue, and if you also plug in during your comfort stop, the Clarity’s 6.6-kW on-board charger promises quicker top-ups of EV (electric vehicle) range than the opposition’s 3.3 kW, though none can handle DC (direct current) fast-charging (level 2 is the limit).

Over a mid-March week, most of our driving in the Clarity was long-distance, with four adults and luggage on-board, and yielded an overall measured consumption of a stingy 4.1 L/100 km (3.7 if you believe the trip computer). Electric range on a full charge averaged about 65 km, with extremes of 80 km (mostly urban, driving solo) and 52 km (almost all freeway, four occupants, uphill and upwind).

So, 100-per-cent-electric should be doable for most daily driving if you plug in every night (a full recharge takes 12 hours on 120 volts). It helps that the Clarity is fully driveable and usable on battery power. Just hit the Econ button and, as long as the temperature is above –10 Celsius, there’s juice in the battery, and you don’t fully flatten the throttle, the gas engine should stay out of it.

For anyone who really wants a battery-electric vehicle but is still anxious about range, this ugly-duckling Honda looks like the best compromise out there.

It helps that the Clarity is fully driveable and usable on battery power.

Base price: $44,990
    Engine: 1.5-litre, four-cylinder, 135kW, permanent-magnet
    Transmission/drive: Fixed, single-speed, front-wheel-drive
    Fuel consumption (litres/100 km): 5.3 city, 5.6 highway; 2.1 Le/100 km combined
    Alternatives: Ford Fusion Energi, Hyundai IONIQ PHEV, Kia Niro PHEV, Kia Optima PHEV, Toyota Prius Prime
    The Clarity’s gas tank is only 26.5 litres.

The prognathous face and semi-enclosed rear wheels do not a thing of beauty make. It’s all about aerodynamics (although, typically, Honda doesn’t disclose a drag figure). The rear-wheel fairing, plus slots in the back doors, helps smooth airflow.

Even the up-level Touring trim has only six-way manual driver-seat adjustment, which may be limiting for some body types, though seat comfort is fine and visibility factors are otherwise excellent. The Clarity lacks Honda’s latest “screenology,” so some minor controls are not as user-friendly as in other newer Hondas, but the push-button gear selector is intuitive to use and enables the huge storage tray below. The rear seat is a little wider than most, but legroom is bottom-of-class.

In Car and Driver tests, the Clarity strolled to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 7.7 seconds – hardly sporty, but perfectly adequate for modern traffic. Even when it’s working hard on full throttle, the gas engine is decently refined, and usually it’s barely perceptible in routine driving. Paradoxically, however, you’re occasionally aware it’s running (in battery-recharge mode) when you wouldn’t expect it, such as coasting to a stop. Engaged drivers won’t be enthralled by the Clarity’s handling, but it’s responsive enough not to unduly alienate them; still, long-distance cruising is its forte.

It’s a shame Clarity lacks Honda’s latest screen interface, but most of the expected mod cons are present and correct. On the “communitainment” side – Apple CarPlay and Android Auto; Bluetooth voice control; HondaLink mobile connectivity; Wi-Fi tethering; plus, on the Touring trim, Navi, HD Radio and SiriusXM. On the driver-assist side, there’s adaptive cruise with low-speed follow; lane-keeping assist; forward collision warning; collision mitigation braking; and more.

Cargo: Clarity has 439L of trunk space.

Despite the space occupied by a largish battery pack, Honda preserved a useful 439L of trunk space, plus extra storage under the floor. The trunk cavity is a rather lumpy shape, however, and the seats-folded pass-through is small.

Verdict Almost all the appeal of a battery-electric vehicle, but without the range anxiety.

Pegsie and Johnhaydev like this.
  5. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

6. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

In case you want the pictures:

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Did he just call my beautiful Clariry an “ugly ducking”?!?!?
    Them’s fightin’ words where I come from!!!!! Let me at him!
    If not for the current 6ft social distancing, I might introduce him to my Shillelagh. And mine is a real one from Ireland made from the fire treated heart and root of a Blackthorn bush. So it’s not just my cane, it’s also a potent attitude adjuster. LOL
    Beauty may very we’ll be in the eye of the beholder, but I am pledged to uphold the electronic honor of my Clarity.

coutinpe and Dan McInerney like this.
  9. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Oddly, as a nearly 2 year owner, I agree with the whole review. Spot on.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

FYI: Honda didn't sell any Insights in Canada in 1999. A few Insights made it to US west coast states in 1999, but Canadians had to wait until mid-2000 to buy an Insight.

After seeing the Honda VV Hybrid prototype at the Detroit Auto Show in January, 1999, I placed my $500 deposit the next day. More than a year later, in March, 2000, Honda rewarded my patience and fanaticism by putting the first Insight going to the mid-west in a closed truck big enough for just one car and driving it from California to my dealer in Michigan.

In North America, Honda sold about 14,000 gen-1 Insights in 7 years. Then Honda's joyless bean-counters wrested control from the engineers and that's why I can't buy a Honda e. It's a good thing they wanted to amortize the costs associated with the Clarity Fuel Cell or we wouldn't have our Clarity PHEVs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  11. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Uh-oh . . . sounds like the social isolation's gettin' to you.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. "prognathous"

Leg room bottom of the class? I'm 6'-2" and have no problem with leg room in the rear seat. Anyone have problems with it?

14. Elm

Elm New Member

Give em a taste of the mighty horn installed in your car! That'll learn em good.

15. craze1cars

I’m 6’1” and agree legroom is great. Kinda useless because my head crams the ceiling. So unless I want a crook in my neck, I’m limited to about 20 minutes of tolerance for the Clarity back seat. Luckily I’ve only sat in it once...for 15 minutes, and it sucked. Shorter people I’m sure are fine. But I’ve ridden in plenty of other midsize cars that provide adequate headroom. Clarity is not one. So I agree. Rear seat headroom is bottom of class.

16. I just sat in the back seat behind the passenger seat, which is pushed all the way back. My knees were about 2"-3" from the seat and my head was not touching the ceiling at all. My hair, which is combed back so it is 1 1/2" higher than the top of my head just brushed it.

I'm not understanding your head "cramming" the ceiling.

17. craze1cars

We are clearly differently shaped people. As stated, when I sit in the back seat, my head hits the ceiling. It is uncomfortable. I can’t think of another way to describe it to help you understand. Yours doesn’t, which is good.

18. The author was apparently unaware, at the time of publication, that the BEV has been discontinued.

insightman likes this.
  19. ashmtl

ashmtl Member

I am six foot, but my problem was the height in the back sit. I was almost touching the top.

craze1cars likes this.
  20. ashmtl

ashmtl Member

Thank you for the post. I was considering the Kona and Tesla 3, but Kona was too small for me and Tesla was too expensive. I did chose Clarity and after reading this review I am sure I made the right choice.

insightman likes this.