Trunk Release - Key Fob Sensor Intermittent Fail

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by descolado, Mar 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. descolado

descolado Member

Hello fellow Clarity Owners,

Has anyone noticed an intermittent non-detection of the key fob at the read trunk of your Clarity?

Wondering if its just me, or my proximity to the trunk release area. I had the key fob in hand this morning, and when trying to unlock the trunk using the release switch it was unresponsive. Had to use the key fob release button to trigger it.

I've had this happen on another occasion, but assumed maybe my mobile phone was blocking the signal. Now, I'm not so sure. Any suggestions or similar instances?

CupertinoClarity likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

Most of the key fobs use a 125 kHz car transmission frequency from the car to the fob that only has a range of around 12 feet, so you may be at the edge of reception since the steel and aluminum between the transmitter and you further limits the range. Pressing the button uses a higher frequency to transmit to the car and has a much longer range.

KentuckyKen and descolado like this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

If I had this issue I'd change the battery in the remote. You never know how old the batteries are, or they could be weak. Small price to pay to see if it works.

5. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

Well, we have some sort of idea of how old they are since it is a brand new car.

6. descolado

descolado Member

I've noticed it twice, so I figure maybe it's just me not being close enough to the receiver. Kinda odd they would design the receiver dimensions that short though, if this is the case per MarkClarity's comment.

I realize we have a long vehicle, but you'd think they'd engineer receiver locations accordingly.

Its not a terrible problem though, just an odd intermittent annoyance.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here’s a another data point.
    With key fob in leather case in right front jeans’ coin pocket and with cell phone in left front pocket or shirt pocket, I am havinging 100% function every time at rear trunk.
    I suggest separating phone and fob first and then if problem continues to try jdonalds post to change the battery. Even though new, batteries (as anything made by man) can fail.

Also check if it does this with the other fob. If not then swap batteries between then and this could isolate problem to the battery.

9. descolado

descolado Member

Good suggestions, I'll definitely take a look at the battery idea. It doesn't happen often enough for me to be alarmed, but just an odd observation if the car is sitting parked for a while.

The last time it happened was early AM so my car was sitting for probably a few hours; I tried the release handle three times (with the key fob in my hand right next to the trunk lid). Either way, just a curiosity but I may very well be an anomaly.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I found this on p 138 of our manual. I wonder if having fob next to cell phone would do the same and cause he battery to run down prematurely.

Low Smart Entry Remote Signal StrengthCommunication between the smart entry remote and the vehicle consumes the smart entry remote’s battery.Battery life is about two years, but this varies depending on regularity of use.The battery is consumed whenever the smart entry remote is receiving strong radio waves. Avoid placing it near electrical appliances such as televisions and personal computers.

K8QM likes this.
  11. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

Any chance the key fob was in the hand you were trying to open the trunk with?

If so, the car likely thought the fob was ‘in’ the trunk in which case it would ignore the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. descolado

descolado Member

I have confirmed what appears to be a transmission issue with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and the key fob. It almost seems like the corresponding sensor gets a fail code when I have the key and phone in the same pocket and gets "stuck".

I noticed this behavior this morning, where my passenger door would not unlock with the key fob in the same space as my phone. Separating the phone and fob made no difference and the door would still not unlock from the hand sensor - almost like it failed and gave up the ghost.

Switching to the driver door with the phone and fob separate allowed me to unlock without issue. I'm wondering if this is some fault detect security baked into our cars.

14. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

My similar issue is when locking the car using the button on the driver's door handle. I keep my keys in my right front pocket. If I'm standing too close to the car it may think my keys are in the car and won't lock it. I've learned to back away about 10" from the car before I push the button.

15. JackH

JackH Member

From page 138 of the Owners manual

Low Smart Entry Remote Signal Strength

The vehicle transmits radio waves to locate the smart entry remote when locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or to activate the power system.

In the following cases, locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or activating the power system may be inhibited or operation may be unstable:

• Strong radio waves are being transmitted by nearby equipment.

• You are carrying the smart entry remote together with telecommunications equipment, laptop computers, cell phones, or wireless devices.

• A metallic object is touching or covering the smart entry remote.

CupertinoClarity likes this.