CA carpool lane stickers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Valente, Mar 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Valente

Valente Active Member

Has anyone ever been stopped by police in the car pool lane even though you have a HOV sticker on your bumper? I've been stopped twice. Both times the police had no idea what the red sticker was for. I had to explain to them it was because my car was electric and the sticker was issued to me by the DMV and entitled me to use the car pool lane without a 2nd occupant. He returned to his police car and called this in to confirm. I was stunned by police stupidity.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tahuna

Tahuna Member

Never heard of that. On the other hand, I've also never seen the police stop anyone using the car pool lane, and I frequently see single drivers in the lane.

4. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

I just bought a Clarity, but I've had two other cars with stickers, a 2003 Insight and a 2020 Prius Hybrid. I think you are likely suffering from the fact the Clarity isn't an "obvious" electric/hybrid vehicle. An old Insight, a Tesla or a Prius stand out as some sort of electric-based car. Most people know the names by now (Tesla, Insight, Prius, Bolt, Volt, Leaf). But a lot of people have never heard of a Clarity and it looks a lot like an Accord. They might have thought you slapped some stickers on a car that they didn't belong on.

As proof of this effect, consider my cousin. For over a year he drove his non-plugin Prius (from a model year that was never eligible for HOV decals) in the carpool lanes over 15 miles to and from work (over 30 total miles each day, five days per week, in rush hour) with no decals at all on it (and no tint on the windows, so it was clear he was alone). He finally got a ticket after about 18 months of this. I think a lot is whether your car's looks make it seem obvious that it belongs in the HOV lanes with one occupant.

5. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I had a Honda Civic Hybrid and got pulled over. Early days on the cars getting special dispensation. CHP (!) said he didn't see it and I was on my way.

Insighter likes this.