Borrowing (Stealing?) charging or unplugging EVs to charge your own car

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Feb 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Man...threads like this just cause ICE owners to shake their heads and say “another reason why EVs suck is....”

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In May of 2016, I'd picked up my BMW i3-REx and was driving West from Charlotte NC to Knoxville TN. It was sunset so I pulled into Biltmore Park to get summer and a quick charge. Eventually I found a free, L2 charger and plugged in. A guy sitting on a bench said, "Be careful, your car might be unplugged."

I asked "Why?" and he said just to 'mess with you.' So I locked my car which locked the J1772 to the car. An hour later, the sun had set, a good meal, and the car was still plugged in.

So far, both cars have locked the plug in when the car is locked. So I'm not too terribly worried about being unplugged with the exception of the passive J1772-to-Tesla adapter.

Bob Wilson

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

And are these the same people who believe coal-rolling or ICEing a EV is fair game or that EVs cause more damage to the environment than ICEs?

5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I don’t know any such people. You’d have to ask them.

But on a less sensationalist and more related note...

I do know a lot of ICE drivers/owners who find the whole charging thing a hassle, such as described in this thread. (Can't find charger, charger always full, what do you do when you go dead because you can't find a charger, etiquette vs rules vs good people vs idiots, etc.) Which makes EVs a non-starter for them.

All an ICE owner's gotta do, is pull up to a gas pump for 5 minutes, and they're set to keep going another 300 to 400+ miles. Pretty dang easy and established.

That was my only point: Topics such as this one have the potential to make EV's sound like quite a hassle, especially to the average ICE owner.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020