Electrify America Chargers

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Esprit1st, Jun 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Need to demand government bans time based charging cost.Use kWh,it's fuel,not a service.Time based charging gouges as each EV has a different charge speed,BMS... If it's cold,and depending on the charger's configuration,and how warm/cold your EV is. A driver could look at $20 for about 50% charge. If you look at the $T dollar US subsidy to oil,and about a couple $B in Canada.The chargers subsidized at a similar rate to ICE fuel,per kWh cost,we would have more EV adoption. To travel to South Carolina shouldn't cost 7 times,or worse what my premium fueled PHEV would cost.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Luckily, I don't need to use Electrify on my current road trip.. My Hotel has a free Level 2 and I'm charging over night for free..

ehatch and Esprit1st like this.
  4. Grego

Grego Member

I’m planning a trip Richmond BC to Oregon coast this coming weekend. Making a few stops along the way. Thinking of charging at Electrify America chargers should I preload money on account? Or not bother for now and simply use credit card I realize there is a user fee as well....are the Walmart locations usually busy?

I’m thinking of stopping at Lacey, Wa location 144miles (305km) from departure(Richmond B.C.) Thinking with 4pax and luggage in car I should be able to make it? Too optimistic?

Other one I thought about was Three Rivers Mall but that’s 207miles(421km) from departure without charging.....

My GOM only shows 405km usually so I’m not sure I can even trust it or just go my SOC?

Then head to Cannon Beach. And possibly Mount St. Helens on way back it think might be a good test for the Kona the Uphill...

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

What's your SOC when you leave,90% ? I am thinking you should charge at 275km/170miles just to be safe as the speed is about 74 mph/120kmh speeds? Then there's potential for rain:rolleyes: which can suck range,depending on ambient temp.,wind,elevation again.

I don't like EA,and would avoid if I could,but it's probably not an option?If you do use,try to only go to 60% to avoid the stupid penalty for 75kWh, tier two Kona EV don't benefit from.

Not sure if you have used,but we periodically use A Better Route Planner over our X mapping as it accounts for range robbing elevation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iternio.abrpapp&hl=en_CA

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/a-better-routeplanner-abrp/id1490860521

6. Canon Beach is beautiful and St Helens is definitely worth a visit. I used to live in Portland. Very beautiful area.

However, even if you only use an EA once. It makes sense to go with an account and pay the monthly fee of $4! They charge a lot less per minute (I believe about ¢20. That's only a 20 minute charge to recoup the $4 and then you will save money!.

BTW I programmed a website http://www.ev-charge-cost.com to calculate charging costs ahead of time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Grego

Grego Member

I might hear from a few people on this forum but.....I have always been charging to 100% on my Morec 32amp Level 2 charger. When I use a DC Fast Charger I usually go to 80-85%....

I’m just over 12k since October 26th(possession date) and have always been charging to 100%

Well now with the advisory from BC Health Ministy no more travel

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I think Hyundai has given its battery the header required to handle your 100% charging without bad premature degradation since you're not really getting 100%. It's DC that could degrade the Li quicker so the 80% - 90% should be safe.Try to run the battery down into the 15-25% zone before charging up again,it's also when you will see the ~75kW on a station that supports 100kW,or higher.You can still do a road trip,it's a social distancing thing,so distance yourself by driving your Kona electric out to a foresto_O Test the elevation changes to learn the tolerance of your range,charge...

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I am still hoping Hyundai checks forums such as this. I actually found their official specifications & consumer information.The car is capable of charging at 100kW,they should unlock it 040319_kona EVa.jpg . 040319_kona EV.jpg

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

That looks like it's the power OUTPUT of the battery pack and motor.

Esprit1st likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy, Mattsburgh, apu and 1 other person like this.
  14. Not sure where you saw a $ amount since Tom only mentions what it came out to be on his last time based charge that he did on an EA charger.

But I agree that it's generally a better pricing structure. It will be a mixed bag in the end. It will be cheaper for us on the low end of the high tier, but possibly more expensive for ones on the high end of the low tier.

15. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Also, this is still contingent on the state laws regarding utilities and regulation

Esprit1st likes this.
  16. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

'Bout time! All those people hammering on them must have finally prevailed.
    They should be maintaining a list of the "time states" on their website, for
    easier trip planning, and change over in those states the *instant* the
    non-utility legislation passes. That will keep happening pretty quickly,
    I imagine, and maybe by the time we actually start going places again
    the whole situation will be more financially fair.

California left way too much "grandfathered" wiggle room, when the reality
    of how to bill comes down to firmware updates. Bad precedent.

_H*

Mattsburgh and electriceddy like this.
  17. I've now been on a few long trips in the Kona EV and it pretty much gets the miles it says it has. But I can milk the thing to better than 4Mi/kWh; in fact, one 129 mile trip I managed 5.2Mi/kWh using regen 0 and exceeding the speed limit.

For the long trips we traveled from Deer Isle, ME to Montreal, QC and back late Nov 2019 and traveled from Deer Isle, ME to Northfield, MA and then down to Springfield, MA and back late Jan 2020. Note both were in rather chilly conditions.

On the Springfield trip I saw there was a new 350kW Electrify America charger in Chicopee, MA at the Home Depot. 350kW!!! I was very excited to see how fast the Kona would charge up. We were there Jan 25, 2020 at about 5pm (dark) and it was raining cats and dogs. Had about 25 miles of range left and needed a minimum of 150 to swing thru Northfield and back to the next CCS charger heading to ME.

The first problem was the insanely huge power hose was too short to reach the Kona's charge port. We had to park sideways to the charger just to connect.

The second problem seems to be common with the EA system. It would not initiate a charge or read my credit card. The call to tech support went well but took close to 20 minutes from arrival to juice.

If my son wasn't with me, I'm not sure I could have plugged and unplugged the power hose while on the phone with tech support because it was raining so hard. He was outside on the hose while I was wrangling the credit card.

After all that, the stats are: Max power 58.61kW -- Session length 00:43:34 -- Juice 35.5kWh

Rather disappointing. Remember that the vehicle is in control of the charge rate. Don't know why a depleted battery that had been driven for miles before charging couldn't take more of a wack. Possibly the 20 minutes of fooling around with tech support in the rain allowed the battery to cool down too much.

But the real shocker was the cost. Far and away the MOST EXPENSIVE charge ever. Start with the session fee of $1.00. Then the per minute fee of $0.58 and then top it off with $1.64 tax. For a total of $27.91. My previous record had been $16.62 for 27.72kWh at an EVGo charger in Augusta, ME.

The bottom line: avoid EA chargers unless there's no choice.

18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

You need to get on the Hyundai pricing plan - it would cut the price in more or less in half. But you need to initiate the charge with the app and not a credit card - otherwise it has no idea what plan you are on, and it picks a rate based on the rate at which your car can take a charge.

Mattsburgh and Esprit1st like this.
  19. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

With the EA pricing plan now, I use them often. It's a great deal. I also recommend signing up for it. With the pandemic, not sure how much congress would be able to regulate how electric vehicles are charged. The only way it is fair to charge is by power delivered. Too many things can slow down the charge rate. EA is aware of this and the plan helps. It still is not fair.

20. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I finally read through both sections of Tom M's rundown on this. It's likely inaccurate
    to say that EA independently decided to do this -- more like, the customer base [and
    the *missing* customer base of people rightly boycotting them] made the decision
    for them. Time-based simply isn't sustainable without being engaged in unending
    battles about fair business practice, and they'd already milked a captive market
    effectively dry. They saw a dead end coming, and are hopefully swerving in time.

I was amused by the observation that 24 cents/kWh seemed a reasonable price
    for on-the-road rapid charging. Exactly what I already had on my concept sign!

As for plug & charge, what they're talking about there leaves ALL present vehicles behind.
    However, also implementing Autocharge based on CCS interface MAC addresses could
    accomodate them NOW. A simpler protocol, and in the real world, unjustly decried as "less
    secure" by the PKI fanatics. We don't need that, and frankly I'd rather be able to simply
    register a car to an account with them than mess with apps or broken card-readers.

[edit: speaking of broken, that Disqus nonsense for comments on insideevs is total crap.]

_H*

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  21. I feel like it's not really news. It was discussed before that they will have to switch to kwh based just like you said. Time based just doesn't make sense. However, I also believe there was no other way to do it than what they did. Legislation forbid them to use kwh based pricing (just like every other company they had to use time based).

As usual, legislation is easy behind the curve. That's why they are basins as well.

22. There's a Hyundai pricing plan? (googling...) Well damn. And that looks a lot better than the Pass + that I used in December to travel 1200 miles round trip. So glad you mentioned this, thanks!

23. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Apparently the "Hyundai select" pricing trick still only works through their app, you can't
    do something reasonable like log into their website and launch a charge. [The app does
    the moral equivalent, this shouldn't be so hard...] But needing the app also disenfranchises
    anyone without a Google or itunes account -- you simply can't have it.

For Android, at least, I told EA they need to make the .APK directly downloadable from
    their website. There's probably an equivalent means for Apple stuff. I have no problem
    side-loading stuff I know the origin of. We shouldn't *need* to have to load yet one more
    gratuitous app onto our toys just to participate, but if that's their only answer they
    need to make it *available* on a nondiscriminatory basis.

_H*