KBB 2019 Honda Clarity Long Term Wrap up

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Danks, Feb 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danks

Danks Active Member

Came out today. Probably most interesting thing is their view on resale value. Of course they did say they would not recommend trading in after 1 year and especially not with the Clarity.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Interesting, never worried about resale anyway - planned to keep for the 8 years either way. I keep most of my cars for 8-10 years on average. Plus once it is out of warranty I can finally install that flux capacitor I have waiting in the shop and get rid of those batteries! ;-)

Cheers,
    Cash

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Forget the Flux Capacitor. If you’re going to go retro, go all the way back to the original.
    170EB9DE-2C0E-4388-966A-5B3A3CEB6436.jpeg

Ray B, Domenick, Johnhaydev and 4 others like this.
  5. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I went all the way back to the TARDIS on mine. Technically (and yes, I watched the originals) Dr. Who bests Star Trek by 3 years! (1963 vs 1966)
    However I am going to bow to the absolute best "badge improvement" I have seen to date sir! Of course it would be Kentucky!! Yes, I have to admit having a Warp Core beats the flux capacitor... however... ok, serious nerd/geek alert and we have gone way off topic but this is fun... If I get enough Huon particles together to recharge the Protyon Core then my TARDIS Vortex engine beats your anti-matter warp drive! But I had to pay homage to Firefly and a funny looking car made into a time machine (seemed appropriate).

Cheers Ken!

20200220_170939.jpg 20200220_170959.jpg

Johnhaydev, KentuckyKen and TomL like this.
  6. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I think their resale comment is quite out of context. Why would I pay $21k for a used car when I can get a new car for a few thousand more after taking into account the federal tax credit, state rebates and dealer discounts? Plus now way I’m selling this car after a year.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bfd

bfd Active Member

I don't think the resale value for this PHEV is any less - proportionately - than most of the others I've seen. You can look at the Volt as a near comp. (at least for a two year comp) The first 2018 Claritys are 2 years old now. Cars.com shows a range of $22,600 for the base and $26,285 for the touring. Considering that the original pricing (minus state and federal credits) was about $29,000 for our Touring model, it's not looking like there's a severe drop-off at all. Yes, if you compare the original sales price before the credits, there is about a $10K loss, but then again, the potential steeper loss in value could be considered one of many reason for the credits… It's not complicated though. If Honda decides to orphan this vehicle, it'll really crash in value. At that point, a 3 or 4 year old resale on a clean, low mile vehicle, might not even get over $10K.

Many may just decide to drive theirs into the ground - the battery and electric drive have strong warranties in California. But if someone bought this car thinking it would somehow have a high resale value… well, that's unfortunate.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Once you have the flux capacitor hooked up, you can go back and get us some stock tips and mega lotto numbers!

10. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Yes, comparing resale values based on MSRP is ridiculous. Many cars are sold with huge incentives and dealer discounts. When shopping for the Clarity, I considered buying an new Audi A4 that was $10,000 below MSRP. So in that case, the Audi (it was mid-year, not even a left-over) had lost over 23% of it's resale value even before it was sold! We bought one of the first Claritys in the US, first one on my dealer lot. After all tax credits, state incentives, dealer discounts, our Touring cost less than $27,000. If we waited, we could have done even better. If our 2+ year old car is worth $20,000 today, I'd be thrilled.

11. DanGest

DanGest Member

Of course resale value should only compared to price paid after tax incentives because that is ultimately what you pay. My 2019 base cost $28.9K OTD, and then I got $9K in tax incentives/rebates ($1500 CVRP, $7500 Federal) so my total cost was less than $20K. I would not expect any1 to pay above $20K for a 1 year old car I paid less than that for....Comparing to MSRP is just silly

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LAF

LAF Active Member

How can someone who's job it is to review cars not mention that the Clarity is unique in getting 50EV miles/charge, which means most people are driving an electric car all the time unless they go out of town. Mentioning 80mpg overall does not due the car justice. And the resale value problem???? How could she not know she would pay lots less than 36K for a new one, from $7500 t0 10,000 less from rebates, making the resale (10% off total after driving a cost free year 1) a good deal.