Bloomberg reporter blames older Tesla for Mobileye fault

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Feb 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: Electrical Tape on Sign Fooled a Tesla Into Speeding in Test

(Bloomberg) -- Researchers were able to trick a Tesla Inc. vehicle into speeding by putting a strip of electrical tape over a speed limit sign, spotlighting the kinds of potential vulnerabilities facing automated driving systems.

Technicians at McAfee Inc. placed the piece of tape horizontally across the middle of the “3” on a 35 mile-per-hour speed limit sign. The change caused the vehicle to read the limit as 85 miles per hour, and its cruise control system automatically accelerated, according to research released by McAfee on Wednesday.
    . . .
    The tests involved a 2016 Model S and Model X that used camera systems supplied by Mobileye Inc., now a unit of Intel Corp. Mobileye systems are used by several automakers though Tesla stopped using them in 2016.

Tests on Mobileye’s latest camera system didn’t reveal the same vulnerability, and Tesla’s latest vehicles apparently don’t depend on traffic sign recognition, according to McAfee.

My 2014 BMW i3-REx has a similar Mobileye system. The fault is Mobile eye and shows another example why Tesla does not trust subcontractors.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. And why you should always monitor what you're car on autopilot is doing ...

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Not sure why you called Bloomberg out specifically (not that I have anything for or against the person or the company). The testing was by MaAfee and was on a older model car and that seems to have been fixed by Mobileye and Tesla does not use them anymore. In fact I see the report to be pretty factual, as they are not claiming the sky is falling down and are just pointing out potential problems with such technology. In fact the say "McAfee says the issue isn’t a serious risk to motorists. No one was hurt and the researcher behind the wheel was able to safely slow the car."

I would agree with you if found the title of original article "Electrical Tape on Sign Fooled a Tesla Into Speeding in Test" as over dramatization. It does not state older models of Tesla. But reporters want to sensationalize information so that people read it. Not that it right or acceptable, it goes with some parts of Journalism.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

For whoever decided on the title:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

6. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Here is what the McAfee researchers did, make the 35 look like 85. Extending this one could paint it over and autonomous driving system may not be capable today of determining this a residential zone and it cannot be 85. That is why we have not reached a point where human control can totally be eliminated. This could have happened with any car.

https://electrek.co/2020/02/19/tesla-autopilot-tricked-accelerate-speed-limit-sign/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Good thing they didn’t mention the order of magnitude more drivers who blast through school zone at 2x the posted speed limit. Yeap, the adulterated speed sign and out of date, Mobileye in an older Tesla gets the title.

Mission accomplished: another cheap liar self-identifies.

Bob Wilson

gooki likes this.
  9. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I'm rather scratching my head about why someone altering the number on a speed limit sign, causing Tesla Autopilot to "mis-read" the sign, would be reported as news.

You could also use electrical tape to alter a speed limit sign to make human drivers think the speed limit was higher, too. The only reason that should be "news" should be about defacing public property and intentionally doing malicious mischief, not about suggesting there's something "wrong" with human eyesight!

Honestly, I think this sort of thing is just sensationalized "infotainment" -- not true factual journalism -- preying upon normal, and understandable, human fears about new technology; and little if anything else.

Informational value near zero; signal-to-noise ratio near zero, for this kind of "reporting".

gooki, Esprit1st and bwilson4web like this.