Clarity feels like brakes disengage for split second

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Phil_Meyers, Feb 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

Everytime I get off the off ramp from the freeway, there's a section where there's a bumpy transition from concrete to asphalt. There's a stop so as I'm going over this bump I've got the brakes applied. The funny thing is it always feels like the brakes disengage over this bump. Even my wife commented about this the other day. I'm thinking it's a regen thing. I'm usually travelling about 30 mph over it maybe a little less.
    Your thoughts on this? Anyone experience something similar?

2019 touring.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This is a universal experience with cars that apply regenerative braking using the brake pedal.

Regenerative braking isn't as responsive as conventional ABS brakes, so if bumpy pavement causes something approaching wheel lock-up, the car's ABS system releases the regen braking and isn't able to reapply it as nimbly as an ABS brake system could. This can make the car feel like it's actually accelerating when you really want to continue to slow down. The actual brakes still work, but they were probably contributing a small portion of the slowing force before the regen cut out.
    Both my Prius and my late Volt have done this routinely and I've learned caution when approaching pavement that looks like it may trigger this.

Teslas probably don't do this so much, since they don't use brake pedal input to engage regen. They are set up to apply it only to the degree that the accelerator is lifted off of and the level of regeneration is selected in the vehicle settings.

K8QM and Daniel M W like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Clarity's regen/mechanical brake transitions are infinitely better than in the olden days (gen-1 Insight). Look at the complex mechanism Honda developed to manage the Clarity's brake feel--it includes something called a "Pedal Feel Simulator" as part of the system:

upload_2020-2-11_23-22-9.png

Domenick likes this.
  5. JCA

JCA Active Member

This sounds to me more like normal Antilock-Brake-System behavior, rather than anything specific to regenerative braking. My '95 Neon and '07 Civic with ABS did/do the same occasionally (noticeable when braking while going over a railroad crossing or other bump). If anything, I haven't noticed it as much if at all on our '06 Highlander Hybrid, '15 Highlander Hybrid, or '19 Clarity (all with regen of course), but that's not to say it doesn't occur.

ABS kicks in by releasing at least one brake when it senses differences in wheel speed, or too-quick changes in all of the wheel speeds. Varying surfaces and bumps can definitely trigger brief moments of that.

craze1cars likes this.
  6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Agreed. Most ABS cars do this when braking hard over large bumps. Older systems were worse about it than most newer systems.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

No, it's gotta be the regen. We used to drive our 2015 Accord on the exact same road, exit, etc. The Accord brakes never behaved like this.

9. Just chiming in to say I experience the same thing in my 2018 Clarity.

I realize that I kind of compensate when I see a rough patch of road by pushing the brake a bit harder.

10. I experienced this for the first time the other day in my Chevy Spark EV. I was slowing as I hit a speed bump and it felt as though the brakes stopped working. As @css28 said, though, it was just the regen cutting out. Certainly got my attention!

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Yup, it's a regen thing.

I have a similar train track scenario with a 90 degree turn immediately past them so moderate to firm braking while crossing rail bumps. Been experiencing it with hybrids for nearly a decade now. Some are better than others and the Clarity is the best in the family fleet of four (least affected). Hard(er) braking isn't affected since the system has transitioned from regen to friction braking before the bumps.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've never noticed this with the Clarity, maybe since regen isn't terribly strong. On the first generation Volt, this could put a scare to you until you got used to it... It would seem like the car went from braking to accelerating, the change was so strong...

Domenick likes this.
  14. Desiboy

Desiboy New Member

Yes, I have had a similar experience...it's a bump before a stop light and it always feels like the brakes release for a split second. Since I know exactly where it happens, I keep the brakes pressed a little harder nowadays.