Price Received - Trade In, Sale, Total

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AlanSqB, Oct 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

I did check but unfortunately that is just the base model a little under MSRP.

I will keep Mr. Sylvan in mind if I do head up there, thank you

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bender

Bender Active Member

I don't know how often it's been called out...
    But the Honda dealer association bans advertising any prices on new vehicles below invoice price (and usually they just list at full msrp). This means you must call/email/ visit/get quote in a situation such as the Clarity where there is a mfr to dealer incentive that should lower the price. They can't advertise lower prices on their websites, or they will receive stiff fines. This also leads to many dealers refusing to negotiate at all because they'll point customers to search online, where zero vehicles will be found with lower list prices, and they know they'll eventually find customers to just pay full msrp.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Central Penn and Pooky like this.
  4. S L .

S L . Active Member

Dealer gave me $21,500 for my 2018 base with 25,000 miles when it was 1 yr old. Traded it in for a 2019 clarity base. I did not negotiate the trade in price, i basically got a new clarity with no out of pocket cost thanks to honda’s big incentives.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Central Penn and AlanSqB like this.
  5. Electra

Electra Active Member

You forgot to mention the IRS' larger tax credit. :)

6. S L .

S L . Active Member

I also got $9,450 is rebates and tax credits that made my new clarity trade in free

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Trade-in offer on my 2018 Touring is $20,500. I’ll be going that route as it reduces my sales tax due by about $3000.

Here’s hoping the value holds on for another 30 days or so.

9. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

This thread has been useful. My wife has always wanted an Audi and now that the Q5 PHEV is available, I think she is going to go that direction. We’ll see what the dealer offers for our red ‘18 Touring with only 15,000 miles (and 2 oil changes :rolleyes:)

AlanSqB likes this.
  10. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

I’m still waiting for my new car. Should be another week or two. In the meantime KBB value is holding firm, which is good. Perhaps all that value drop that came from last years price drops is now priced in.

I did have some second thoughts as we were driving it around these past two weeks. I’m less worried about parts availability as Honda did decide to run it another year. It’s a good car and I could keep it and get the new car, but I just don’t need another full sized car.

11. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

We traded our '18 Touring PHEV Clarity into the Audi dealer when we bought our Q5e PHEV. They gave us $23,000 for it, with 15,000 miles. They put it on their pre-owned lot for $25,500 and sold it for $25,000. It needed nothing, so they made a tidy $2000 on it. The buyer texted me to ask about its service record before the purchase, because the Honda dealer did not report services to Carfax. We paid $26,500 for it 2 years ago, so we drove a really nice car for 2 years and 15,000 miles for only $3500 in depreciation, $0 maintenance costs (the original purchase deal included free first service), and very low electricity cost since we charged it primarily with our home solar system. Oh yah, maybe a couple of tanks of gas at the most! A bargain in my book.

cyberteen and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

All done.

She got traded in today. $20,500 for a 2018 with 27,842 miles and a fair bit of curb rash on the wheels :oops:

I can’t complain as I also got $12,500 in rebates from Colorado and the fed.

I was debating keeping the all weather floor mats and cord as I’m worried someone at the auction will just steal them. I thought I could leave a note hidden in the car somewhere for the new owner to contact me and I’d mail it to them. In the end I decided it wasn’t worth it and left them in.

Hopeful whoever gets it enjoys it. It’s a good car.

upload_2020-3-24_21-40-46.jpeg
    Waiting for the auction truck to take her to a good home.

cyberteen likes this.