Plug-in charging system problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Eva Farkas, Mar 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TJINGVILLE

TJINGVILLE New Member

I've had the same problem since day 1 with my 2018 Clarity PHEV. We have 2 free chargers at work (ChargePoint) and it works sporadically. I'm now getting the error "Plug-in Charging System Problem. Range Limited". I'm about to install a Level 2 charger at home, but I'm concerned about which product to buy. I was leaning towards to ChargePoint, but now I'm hesitant since they seem to be incompatible. Does anyone have issues at home with a Clarity and ChargePoint?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

My 2018 Clarity charges w no problem on a 32 amp ChsrgePoint at home. I installed the hard wired version w a 15 ft run of 8 ga NMB-2 to a 40 amp breaker. Stays cool as a cucumber and app/wi-fi works great.
    I’ve charged 35 times w 10 at a free AeroEnvironment EVSE that cut off mid charge once for reasons unknown and w no dash warning. Repluged and OK.
    I’m sorry y’all are having charging problems as I know it must be frustrating.

4. jsm

jsm New Member

Fyi, I have experienced the charging problem occasionally at public ChargePoint chargers. Just installed the ChargePoint home in my garage it it works perfectly with my Clarity - no errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

TJINGVILLE likes this.
  5. JyChevyVolt

JyChevyVolt Active Member

AlanSqB likes this.
  6. ClarityNow

ClarityNow New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JyChevyVolt

Was this on Charge Point? Did you contact charge point customer service?

The problem could be the station itself.

9. JyChevyVolt

1. Open charge port
    2. Set parking brake
    3. Close door
    4. Plug in

10. ClarityNow

ClarityNow New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this exact order this morning (I was opening the charge port after setting parking brake). It stopped after 20 minutes (better than before) and upon resuming it actually completed. So, a definite improvement, though still flaky. Will try to report back after I've had more time to debug this.

TJINGVILLE likes this.
  11. prestoOne

prestoOne Member

Read your posts. So home it is fine but 110V. Problem is at work with 240V.
    Definitely try a different location, maybe 2 different locations at 240V.

I would be surprised if there isn't a code they can pull from the car to confirm it was or was not a bad power feed and why it was bad.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TJINGVILLE

TJINGVILLE New Member

14. TJINGVILLE

TJINGVILLE New Member

FYI, I took my Honda into the dealer today. I was getting the Plug-In Charging System Problem. They say it is a circuit malfunction because Clarity PHEV is not compatible with some chargers. Honda is working on an update, which is expected to be available in 1 month.

loomis2 likes this.
  15. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

5. Turn around three times
    6. Sacrifice a live chicken
    7. Cross your fingers

atr, Zacpod, TJINGVILLE and 1 other person like this.
  16. JyChevyVolt

There's a problem with charge point and Honda. The same thing happened on charge point express (DC fast charger). So it's not a j1772 protocol problem. DCFC should bypass the on board charger. The dealer is probably blowing high air.

17. sascher18

sascher18 New Member

I have a Clarity EV. First time I used a public charger, it did not work. I thought their was an issue with the car or charger. I forgot my car charges everynight from my HondaLink app at 10:00 pm. When I was at the public charger, I needed to go to Hondalink app, and press "start charging". Problem was solved.

18. JyChevyVolt

I've owned the Clarity since December. I have charged at various charging stations from level 2 to DCFC. The only station that has caused problems is charge point. I've tried the phone app and that didn't work on charge point. All other charging stations have worked fine.

19. JyChevyVolt

I haven't tried the Honda link app. I will test it this week.

20. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

You can also bypass the charge timer by holding the charge button on the key fob after plugging in the car. The car will give a long beep then a shorter beep when it starts charging. This is often easier than going into the app.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  21. Does the Clarity accommodate DC fast charge? That's news to me.

22. marshallwa

marshallwa New Member

The Clarity comes in three flavors. BEV, PHEV and Hydrogen. The BEV has a DC fast charge port.

css28 likes this.
  23. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

So does that mean the PHEV charge port is half fast?