Strange charging schedule behavior?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by dndrich, Jan 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Right. I am not concerned about it, but there is really no documentation, and the videos from Hyundai imply behavior more like the Bolt. Now that I know what it does, no problem. It still will do exactly what I need.

KiwiME likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven't seen the video in question but can certainly imagine the void that exists between a marketing team and the engineering staff, having been an engineer for decades. Having said that, I appreciate that there are dozens if not hundreds of minor design imperfections in the Kona EV. It's been clear to me as I get to know the car (14 months now) that design schedule and cost far overruled design refinement. As my work colleagues in the UK said of Rolls Royce, "the triumph of craftsmanship over engineering".

4. Oh sure. Same thing with the Bolt. The head unit was very buggy. Sometimes the keyless start would not start and the alarm would go off. Lots of other nonsense. Flaky Bluetooth. These cars are in their infancy, and the companies will have to learn. I was impressed that Chevy could build the Bolt as basically a totally new design and pull it off as well as they did. Similar situation here. Kona is a multi-platform design for gas and EV, and they have really done a nice job despite some shortcomings. They've been building gas burners for decades, so we are the early adopters basically. I drove a Leaf for 3 years too, and it really had its quirks. Its main problem was the limited range.

Mattsburgh and KiwiME like this.
  5. This was my thought as well. I would prefer the car just charge and be full sooner rather than later.

6. In the Bolt's favor this policy would minimise the cumulative time the battery sits at a higher charge level. It would be good it were switchable, similar to the feature in the current iPhone iOS13 that does much the same thing.

E34844EB-AF52-4C7F-9A32-0AACEE4B9FAC_1_201_a.jpeg

As I mentioned before, the offered charging current is available for the car's assessment whenever a charger is plugged in and waiting. This is normal for the J1772 protocol.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Agreed. The Bolt method is a superior method. And, it was perfect for me during my 3 years of leasing it. Didn't hiccup once.

KiwiME likes this.