It's OFFICIAL - 2020 Clarity PHEV in US

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Jan 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Did the 2019 have rain-sensing wipers? I know the 2018 doesn't. At least that's a minor update.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wasn't there an error in a Clarity press-release years ago that said the 2018 PHEV had rain-sensing wipers?

Edit: I guess it wasn't a press-release. I was remembering @descolado on this forum who read on Facebook that the 2018 Clarity PHEV had rain-sensing wipers.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. Guess that goes to show, you can’t believe everything you read on FB.

Who knew?

Cash Traylor likes this.
  5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who said you should take FB with a grain of salt...

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Glad to see that Honda isn't shutting down production of the Clarity as soon as rumors claimed!

"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
    -- Mark Twain.
    :cool:

Cash Traylor and chris5168 like this.
  8. eneka

eneka Member

only the Fuelcell versions has rain sensing wipers since 2017. Guess they're finally bringing it over.

9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'll believe the article when I actually see Clarity models sitting on lots in non-ZEV states. Until then, I'll continue to believe Honda is only selling it as a California compliance car.

10. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

The linked article says nothing about where it will be sold.
    Honda will indeed still prioritize CA, with a few showing up in other ZEV states as inventory, but "available to order" from any dealer (that is willing to do so).

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

13. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

The real problem is that there is only one factory in Japan that makes them. Until that changes I don't think you can expect a lot of supply.

14. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

From the Greencarrepoert. "Honda’s two-motor hybrid system, which gears one motor directly to the engine while the other is geared to the front wheels. "

What the heck does this mean?

Also. "The Touring adds perforated leather seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a power driver’s seat,"

Driver seat is 3 way power, passenger seat is two way.

How can these articles not be more accurate?

15. ab13

ab13 Active Member

16. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

yes, but that is the new one that doesn't have angry bees!

17. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Engine is attached to the generator, wheels are attached to the drive motor.
    Direct drive mode mechanically links both motors under light loads above 45 mph.

Kerbe and insightman like this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Further elucidation: The motor connected to the engine starts the engine, then operates as a generator to charge the battery and power the traction motor connected to the wheels. When the Clarity slows down, the traction motor turns into a generator that charges the battery.

19. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I think that the wiper sensing has to do with the headlights instead of turning on the wiper... wipper.PNG

20. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Well, auto wiper sensing in my Acura TLX meant the wipers came on when the were was moisture on the window and the speed was dependent on how hard it was raining. I liked that feature a lot. So Honda has the technology.

21. The feature that you’ve described simply turns on the head lights, in some instances, when the wipers are activated, which must be done manually on current models.