electric mileage range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by silverunicorn, Jan 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. silverunicorn

silverunicorn New Member

hi

I was looking at the electric range from the beginning to now through chargepoint app and it has never charged to show the range more than 40 mi. I am in bay area and I see folks posting that they get 50 mi of range, which I never saw when charging through chargepoint. It stops charging at 39 mi. Is it the battery issue all along or its through chargepoint, that I have this issue.

It pretty much stop charging at
    13.731kWh
    what are your thoughts? should I contact Honda/dealer on this issue?

regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Not too far out of spec, particularly if the battery was not completely depleted. EPA tests show ~14.5 kWh to fully recharge a depleted battery at ~ 70 degrees. Battery capacity is not a constant, but will vary with temperature (and a few other factors). Temperatures in the 50's and/or some EV range remaining before recharging could easily explain the lower than maximum energy needed for a full charge.
    https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46915&flag=1

The range you actually get will vary greatly on driving conditions and habits.

You can take it to the dealer for a battery capacity test, but since you are within about 5% of capacity (as measured under ideal conditions) there will be nothing for them to fix. The warranty allows for about 33% capacity loss in 8 years (to 36.5 Ah), but likely that yours would test very close to the optimum 55 Ah.

insightman likes this.
  4. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Cold weather!

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

You’re fine. That’s a good kW reading and range as estimated by either Honda or Chargepoint varies a great deal with driving style and location and weather and etc.

6. silverunicorn

silverunicorn New Member

thanks a lot for all the quick replies, really appreciate the help. I do lot of freeway driving, therefore the 50mi must be for a lot of city driving.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Also be aware that any use of the heater will cut the EV range. I was surprised at the impact.

9. TomL

TomL Active Member

Same for me in wintry Wisconsin

10. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Still getting 48-50 miles EV range.. Crazy warm weather, 54F at 5am this morning.

11. Wdave

Wdave Member

I mean I'm pretty much tapped out this time of year at 30 miles ev range.
    City driving + heater use + cold weather is a disaster for ev economy

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Chuck

Chuck Member

The ChargePoint App is only showing you the kWh that it took to charge your car, the miles it shows is a fixed estimate based on how many miles it thinks your car will go per kWh. Must be based on the EPA rating for the car. It will never show more than 47 miles on the app. The car knows my driving history so it's range will go from 35 miles (winter) to 63 miles(spring, no heat or A/C).