First Service question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by dan17, Jan 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hey Guys,

I just went in for my first service in Ottawa. The dealership said they didn't have a code for the Kona Electric service #1. Has anyone ran into that or is my dealership just slow on the uptake? They ended up charging me the cost of a tire rotation ($39.99) for the service (with no tire rotation done).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I live in the States and will probably be scheduling my first service in the next 2-3 weeks. I believe a tire rotation is really all that is needed. Why would they charge you for a tire rotation but not do it?

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

We were promised a "Free 1st Service" when the time comes for our 1st service in the states. Hoping they honor that.

5. They didn't have a code for the first service so they used the tire rotation code in place of it. I also just had my winters put on in November so a tire rotation was not needed.

According to the Hyundai service manual, service #1 includes the following:
    • Tire rotation
    • Check fluid level (coolant and washer)
    • Inspect exterior lights
    • Inspect tire pressure
    • Inspect driveshafts and boots
    • Inspect steering gear box, linkages and boots/ball joints
    • Check the air filter (replace if necessary)
    Lots of inspection (as expected).

SergioGomes24 likes this.
  6. Out of curiosity, was this an appointment where you wait, or did you need to leave the car for the day?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It was ready in an hour so pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

9. Hi Dan,

I am also in Ottawa. What dealer did you go to out of curiosity.

John

10. Myers in Barrhaven

11. I assume that you have 24,000 km on your Kona as you indicated on a previous post your delivery date was 8 months ago.
    None of that service is required until 1 year or 24k km (Owners manual page 7-8 ) and the only severe usage condition is to replace the cabin air filter at yearly intervals ( I guess Hyundai figures us Canucks don't drive on paved roads that much).
    Of course there is a 6 month date written in the "service passport" manual , for engine oil and filter.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. No this is at 12,000km since it's under the severe usage. Bluelink and Hyundai both said it's under severe usage. A quick Google search has Hyundai saying it considers all of Canada severe usage due to weather...which seems rather broad.

14. Dan I don't see any change in km service intervals due to severe usage in the manual. The only caveats for severe usage are replacement of reduction gear fluid at 120, 000 km, "more frequent" replacement of cabin filter and "more frequent" inspection of brake pads, calipers, steering, ball joints, ball joints and boots. They don't specify what more frequent is.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. You will have to enlighten me to where specifically in any of the manuals supplied there is a reference to 12k km under severe usage.
    The only reference I can find is on page 7-10 referring to "more frequent" replacements and inspections.
    When I went in and asked at 6 months , the reply from the service dept was nothing to do until 1 year or 24k km, there was no point in them even looking at it unless there was an issue.
    Since I drive generally less km than average driver ( right now 6700 km since Feb 25/19) when I bring it in at the end of Feb 20 I will be well within that "more frequent" timeline.

16. Well it says on page 7 if any of the items apply, you follow severe usage...it mentions salt (also prolonged cold driving could apply). But I looked at Hyundai Canada's maintenance page online:
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/maintenanceschedule

Dan[​IMG]

electriceddy likes this.
  17. That's the first I have seen 12K km mentioned. Thanks for that. At least $40 is reasonable for the limited inspections as compared to service #2

18. I was surprised at the 12,000km initially as well because I thought it was going to be the 24,000km like I read about but I checked the site online saw that.

19. Weird. My dealer wants me in at 6k and then annually after that. Not sure why. I’ll be asking!

20. I do my own tire rotations and am capable of doing all of the prescribed inspections of brakes, suspension at that time. Unless there is a very specific problem I don't think my dealer will see much of me until the reduction gear box oil change is due. I will leave that for them as the drive train is a potential warranty concern.

21. In NZ the vehicle annual body inspection must be signed off by a Hyundai dealer to maintain the 10 year battery warranty. That's a separate sign off from service/inspection for the 3 year B-B warranty. Since it's relatively cheap and they are still doing software updates I'll let the carry on.

22. In the Canadian manual they "recommend" that a Hyundai dealer does the required services but do not require it to maintain any warranty. There is no exclusion to owner performing maintenance/inspections or a third party service provider. The main stipulation is that there is documentation of required services, i.e a log of such services with any associated receipts. Typically in Canada to exclude any warranty coverage Hyundai would have to reasonably prove there is direct cause and effect, i.e they cant deny a EV battery claim because you can't prove you didn't change the cabin filter or inspected your ball joints in a timely manner. I agree that there may be some benefit to periodic visits in context to software updates but if Nav updates are any indication I wouldn't expect much from them.

23. Don't want to miss that first oil change:D

Kathryne and apu like this.