HWY range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by hamr4267, Jan 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. How far are you guys able to drive, Highway only, on a full charge? Not what the GOM says, but when you actually note how many miles you went once the ICE kicks on. I know it depends on air conditioning, temp, terrain etc... I recently tested mine under somewhat ideal conditions. 60 degrees so no AC, flat highway and I had the cruise control set at 71. Once I drove 36 miles, the ICE started up. Now there were 4 of us in the car and headlights were on (although Im not sure if the lights make a difference)
    Edited to mention EV only range

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Faster driving eats up battery pretty fast (air resistance). At 71, with 4 in the car, 36 sounds about right for mine. At 50-55, I'd bet more like 45. At 40-45, I'd suspect above 50.

4. JCA

JCA Active Member

No AC maybe, but was the heat on? Unless you had the temperature dials set to "Lo", or the climate control off altogether, you may have been using significant resistance heat (which actually uses a lot more energy than the AC in the summer) without realizing it. Similar, was either front or rear defrost on?

Your EV mileage wasn't too far off from what I'd expect -- I get ~43-47 on a half/half highway/local commute in similar weather, and have seen 50+ when doing full slower local roads, so would expect high 30s to low 40s on a pure highway drive.

DaleL likes this.
  5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I have to do a 52-mile freeway round trip every now and then. I tried to go all electric but when I see my EV range going below 15 I switch to HV, having still to go around 8 miles, but the last leg of my trip involves a steep climb of about 2 miles that will eat my "remaining" 15 EV miles before reaching the summit.

6. I didn't use the defrost. Idid have the fan on to circulate air but i checked, and the climate said "off"

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. i was testing my EV only range on the highway. i wanted to see how far it would take me

9. Tons of variables. I believe you can expect 42-45 miles at 65mph. This morning I drove 33 miles at 65-70 and have ~15 miles remaining.

Hills and the right foot can change things quickly.

coutinpe likes this.
  10. I had almost ideal conditions and got 36. Sounds like you did a bit better than I did. I'm happy with the 36 mile HWY range but I really thought Id hit 45ish. What does bother me is the seat. My left hamstring aches while driving. It feels like the seat cuts off my circulation. Otherwise I love the car

11. JCA

JCA Active Member

By "climate said off" do you mean when you press the "climate" button to get the screen up, the "A/C" "Off" button is highlighted? If so, if the fan is on then you're using the heater unless you also have the temperature knobs all the way to "Lo" (or to a temperature below ambient).

I deal with this annoyance all summer, when it's hot enough for AC in the afternoon so I turn on AC and set temp to 70. Then in the morning it's cool (say 60-65) so unwanted heat comes blasting on, requiring both spinning the temp to Lo then pressing Climate...waitwaitwait...AC Off to get just the fan with fresh air.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Yes, this is one of my peeves... I agree with @JCA - Whenever the display shows a temperature setting, it will use heat (or A/C) in an attempt to maintain that temperature (even if it says "OFF" on the climate menu). If you don't want it to use any heat for sure, the only way I have found is to spin the dial all the way down until it reads "Lo" on the screen (and make sure that the A/C is set to OFF).

I find the climate controls to be counterintuitive... Especially when the A/C seems to have 3 states (ON, OFF, or neither) !! I don't know what it means when neither ON or OFF is selected.

insightman likes this.
  14. Maybe so, Ill have to be sure the dial is turned to Lo

15. TomL

TomL Active Member

It's probably the passenger weight that cost you EV miles. Under those conditions by myself (though I am a big guy) I routinely get over 50 EV miles verified by the odometer. Weight is crucial for mileage. As I recall, on my 2017 Accord Hybrid the switch from steel to an aluminum hood was like 50 lbs difference and reduced the EPA mileage rating by something like 1.2 mpg.