Transmission Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Robbiemo, Oct 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbiemo

Robbiemo New Member

Anyone have any experience with changing the transmission fluid themselves yet, I just crossed over 45k miles and I'd like to change it soon.

I'm not sure where the drain/fill bolts are (haven't looked yet) or what type of fluid and how much it will take.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Never crossed my mind until I just saw your post. Now I'm curious too.

4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

What kind of car are we asking about??

5. Robbiemo

Robbiemo New Member

2018 Clarity.

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Heck I didn’t even know it had transmission fluid to change...

No idea.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

The manual specifies Honda ATF DW-1 and indicates it requires a dealer to both check and replace. I am unclear what the recommended change interval- but for some car models, it is considered lifetime. I believe the maintenance minder will generate the needed code when maintenance is necessary. In any case, the dealer may be you best source of information.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thank you @Lowell_Greenberg . I haven’t laughed this hard in a long, long time.

DaleL likes this.
  11. Lowell_Greenberg

Your welcome!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lowell_Greenberg

This thread was largely picked up under the Clarity "subfolder." Since the engine will transmit power directly to the wheels using a 3.42 final gear ratio, I assume this coupling mechanism is referred to as the eCVT. And it would make sense that this would use ATF or similar type fluid.

14. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

The Owner's Manual states: "Have an authorized Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary. Do not attempt to check or change the transmission fluid yourself."

The Maintenance Minder System document states: "*3: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
    This requires transmission Fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission Fluid changed every 96,000 km (60,000 miles) or 3 years."

Thus, you don't need to have the transmission fluid changed and you definitely should not try and do it yourself.

Attached Files:

15. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

Yes, I meant Clarity. Clarity uses the same i-mmd system as insight and accord hybrid do, only difference is larger battery and smaller engine.

The eCVT name is totally misleading. It is, in fact, just generator wired to motor, with battery as buffer in between. The clutch is the mechanical link for certain high speed conditions, where the fixed ratio gear can provide better efficiency than converting mechanic power to electricity and back.