Worst I-Pace review ever

Discussion in 'I-Pace' started by bwilson4web, Dec 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Can over-selling a car backfire?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2020.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

This review is so bad, I became disgusted. Not even playing it at the fastest speed made it tolerable:

When someone spews chauvinistic, boosterism, and lies about the competition . . . my first question is 'Are you also lying about the I-Pace?'

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question. Can we cite any examples where that has happened?

The worst case I can think of for over-selling something was the Segway, originally touted as merely "IT", and then as "Ginger". Supposedly it was gonna revolutionize personal transportation, and -- we were told -- cities would be rebuilt to support its use!

In reality... not so much. Electric scooters were already a thing, and putting the wheels side-by-side instead of in-line, while making it much more expensive, and too heavy for the average person to put it into the back of a car or pickup, were hardly improvements on existing scooters!

But even there, did the promotional campaign "backfire"? Did scores or thousands of people who would otherwise have bought one, decide not to because of the ridiculously over-the-top promotion? I doubt it.

In fact, the only times I can think of where a sales campaign backfired was when it became controversial because a certain group made an issue of it, or when a paid spokesman for the product himself or herself became controversial.

Counter-examples and different opinions are solicited.

Emperorbruce likes this.