Disabling the Trunk release.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sailorman, Dec 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

There are some shortcomings with our new Clarity PHEV, I knew about several of them prior to purchasing, some I am finding out about now: no auto dimming side mirrors, (still looking for tips about converting or glare reducing film) and no valet switch in a lockable glove compartment as what the accord has.

I would have bought the Clarity anyway, even with these shortcoming known ahead of time, so many advantages, and the 10,300 dollars off my negotiated price curtesy of the US and Washington State taxpayers. I have been subsidizing Tesla, Leaf, Volt, and Bolt owners, so thought it time to get some of those taxes back!!

The Accord has a lockable glove box, and a switch to disable the trunk release. Honda has some quirky rational when it comes adding and subtracting features, such as the Touring model not having memory seats in Canada etc.

So does anyone have a simple method of disabling the trunk release? It is no hardship to use the fob to open the trunk. My wife often locks her purse in the trunk, and then there are the expensive gifts she often buys for me that need to be securely locked. (lol)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I’m a little confused by the request.

Im quite certain the trunk release button is always disabled when doors are locked, unless of course your key fob is nearby.

So all you have to do is lock the doors and walk away with the car key.

4. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I’m a little confused by the request.

I am too. It the car is locked the truck is locked also.

5. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Ah, so sorry I have created confusion.

As mentioned in my post, it is the lack of a valet key, or as in the Accord, a system that performs that function.

In the Accord, there is a switch inside the glove compartment, you flip that switch, lock the glove compartment with the metal key, hand the fob to the parking attendant, but keep the metal key, and all he can do is drive the car.

I guess I can add another disappointment, no locking glove compartment.

None of this is a show stopper for me, but I am losing allot of points with my wife, I bought it without her seeing it because she was sick at the time, and I assured her that it was as luxurious as the Lexus GS 300 I bought her 18 years ago!

But this car has no locking glove compartment, no valet key, no auto dimming side mirrors.

As we all know whom have had long marriages, it is an unwritten law that we must maintain our wives in the manner that they are accustomed!

The only thing saving me from total and long term banishment to the doghouse are the heated seats, she loves those so much, she is letting the other stuff be overlooked. a bit.

6. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

You use valet all the time, drove an 18 year old car previously and bought a Honda Clarity? Lol, something not adding up here!

Lack of such a feature is not justifiable reasoning for marital banishment!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Ha, BeMurda, I will call you as a witness for my defense in my divorce court hearing!

Pegsie likes this.
  9. There are reports of the small window on the trunk lid being broken to gain access to the trunk, and vehicle interior, via the rear seat release handles.

Like any car, don’t leave valuable items in the car.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

My fob hardly ever unlocks my trunk anymore - but getting anywhere near the rear of the car sets off the "multiple beep" alarm. I guess it's time to turn off the "walk-away" locking function. It was nice, when it worked, to walk up to the trunk with my arms full of groceries and just touch the button - now I need to open the driver's door to hit THAT button or pull out the fob and press the trunk button thereon.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Lots of good tips, thanks for responding.

The info that Landshark mentioned about breaking the glass panel on the trunk to access the whole car is a bit disturbing. I guess one thing in our favor is that this car is so rare, most of those that would want to break in won't know about the trunk window. I hope.

Kerbe, wouldn't that be a warranty item that could be fixed, or maybe a weak battery in the fob? Has anyone had to replace a fob battery? If so, how long did it last. This is a standard Honda fob, so should be plenty of info on it?

13. Groves Cooke

"My fob hardly ever unlocks my trunk anymore - but getting anywhere near the rear of the car sets off the "multiple beep" alarm. I guess it's time to turn off the "walk-away" locking function."

Obviously everyone's situation is completely different, I never tried the walk away locking function because I do not want my cars locked when at home. I have a remote garage and I do not want to walk back to the hose if I need to get something out of the car. BUT I do have a walk away lock feature that I use when away from home. I open the door and press the lock button on the arm rest, get out of the car, close the door and the car is locked. Later when I walk up to the rear of the car the trunk release button works because the key fob is in my pocket.

14. What is the difference between locking the car using the button on the arm rest and the button on the door handle?

15. Groves Cooke

"What is the difference between locking the car using the button on the arm rest and the button on the door handle?"

None that I am aware of. Either way works. That is why the walk away locking is worthless to me. I would gladly trade it for rear cross alert or better windshield wipers and washer.