Just installed winter tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by M. Shah, Nov 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

My friend who lives in the Pacific northwest has an Audi SQ5 and had an issue with finding snow / winter tires for 21" rims that came standard with summer tires.

He found it cheaper to get a set of 19" rims and winter rubbers instead of 21" tires.

BTW - that's what the Germans equip their Q5/SQ5 during the winter months......

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Smaller width helps for snow. Smaller diameter can also help, particularly if it means lower pressure.

4. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I just did the winter changeover from OEM to X-Ice. Discount Tire found sidewall damage in one of the winter tires from the nasty pothole I hit last year. So I now have 2 new X-Ice on the rear and 2 X-Ice that are 3 seasons old on the front. I drive so few miles in the winter and the tires wear so well that there is only 1/32 difference in tread depth between old and new. The new rear tires are not as quiet as the front tires, I suspect because the little nubbins are not worn off the new tires yet. Just in time; it’s snowing today!

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Just forget your “Blizzards”, “X-men ice sickles” and “hapakapottietooties”. Here is a real he-man tire:
    (Apologies if this picture triggers any snowflake’s sense of cultural appropriation.)
    (Sarcastic font enabled)
    (Key Village Peoples Macho Man song)
    09FF83BE-32E9-4718-8B6D-BE366AAC638C.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. No joke. The language police want Spanish speaking individuals to use the word Latinx rather than Latino.

Those tires, henceforth, shall be known as MuchxMachx

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I grew up in Rochester New York so I know snow. I always kidded others that I've had my life quota of snow and am not allowed any more. I've driven quite a lot in snow, some when I had no business being out driving. I just had my first experience with the Clarity in the snow.

We had a quite rare snowfall here in Redding CA. Normal for us is one day of snowfall about once every three or four years. It usually melts by the next day.

With about of 2" of the type of snow that crunches when you walk on it I set out to take my son to his karate lesson. We jumped into the Toyota 4Runner 4x4 but the 10 year old battery finally gave out and the car wouldn't start. So we transferred over to the Clarity.

Not only is the Clarity not a 4x4 but ours has all season tires not suitable for snow. I drove about 200 yards when I realized we should turn around and skip the karate lesson. When I depressed the accelerator pedal the car would spin the tires and I'd lose steering control. I tried feathering the pedal but it would spin the tires very easily. It occurred to me that the rather instant torque of an electric car isn't beneficial in the snow.

What are other's experience with the Clarity in the snow?

10. Sandroad

In my opinion (worth what it cost you), the Clarity is far more sensitive to tire type than other cars I’ve driven in all 4 seasons. And I’ve owned hybrids with electric motor torque assist in starting out for years. That being said, I think the Clarity is a great winter car with winter tires. I have no reservations (except for ground clearance in deep snow) driving the Clarity in the winter with Michelin X-Ice tires.

MPower likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Our Clarity with snow tires seems invincible--as long as the snow doesn't get deeper than a foot or so, when the car's ground-clearance becomes an issue.

Sandroad likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bend

Bend New Member

New owner in Bend, OR and I could use some of the forum’s wisdom. Discount Tire says the stock wheels can run 225/45/R18 Michelin X Ices, despite being about 1/3” shorter than the OEM tires. They say they can’t get any winter tires in 235/45/R18 this late in the season because they are sold out. Costco told me the same.

Should I get 225/45/R18s on the stock wheels or look for 17” wheels and get 215/55/R17?

14. Claritydreamer

Claritydreamer New Member

Go with the HRV 17" they work great and can usually be found fairly cheaply.

15. I purchased Blizzak WS-50's in 225/50/17 mounted on used infiniti OEM rims - very robust rims. The tires are very quiet and the ride is excellent. I have no issues recommending these tires in this size.

upload_2019-12-4_9-18-8.png

16. Sandroad

That's nonsense. The Tire Rack can get you the OEM size in many different brands of winter tires in just a couple of days, with free shipping. Take them to a Tire Rack recommended installer in Bend, or your favorite tire shop and you'll be ready to go. Great prices too.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=48840&width=235/&ratio=45&diameter=18&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

At the link, you'll need to filter for winter tires.

insightman likes this.
  17. Sandroad

Just to add to the joke being played on you about availability, discounttiredirect.com, the online Discount Tire site, has the Michelin X-Ice in stock and ready to ship (for free!) in the OEM size. I bet that local store happened to have the narrower size in the store and lied about the the OEM size being sold out just to sell you what they had.

18. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I bought my tires 11/21 last year from the Honda dealer. It was more expensive than Costco, but I needed them before I left on a cross country trip and Costco couldn't get them till it was too late.

Also, there is a thread about the damage that a Costco did to the wheel resonators when installing the tires. https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/winter-tire-experience-be-careful.3899/

For and excellent thread on the wheel resonators: https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/clarity-phev-wheel-resonator-question.6719/#post-75928

19. Sandroad

Nice wheels! I assume you’re using the proper hub ring spacers and the proper lug nuts, if needed.