Tax credit through dealer swap

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by netvm, Nov 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. netvm

netvm New Member

My dealership doesn't have Clarity. Is it possible my local dealer swap car from another out state dealer(like CA)? Will I still be original owner and qualify federal tax credit?
    Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Yes

4. netvm

netvm New Member

Any downside?

5. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I live in Colorado and went to Nebraska to buy. No problems.. I did not pay taxes in Nebraska and paid them in Colorado. That would be the only problem I can see. You need to find out how the 2 states handle there local and state taxes.

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

The car has to be new and not previously titled.
    There may be shipping costs to pay.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TomL

TomL Active Member

I did the same: live in Wisconsin and bought the car in Kansas City. No sales tax or license fee at purchase, but I had to pay these when I eventually licensed the car in Wisconsin. The WI DMV trusted me on the trade-in amount of my previous car, since sales tax is figured on the difference (also got to subtract cost of extended warranty). I could have made up any amounts for these subtractions, but I understood Clarity owners are expected to be honest and upright citizens :)

insightman likes this.
  9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Unless, according to @insightman, you use HV Charge. Then you’re just a button push away from drinking at the biker bar, getting tattooed, and having your picture posted on the Post Office wall.

MPower likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wait, I never begrudge people burning gas with HV Charge when they want to pump up their battery. It's SPORT Mode that leads to smoking and drinking.

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.
  11. netvm

netvm New Member

Did anyone brought a car from local dealer that car is swapped(traded) from another dealer? This is not the case you cross state to purchase a car. What I like to know is: if your local dealer A doesn't have the car you want, but another dealer B(could be in same or different state) has the car you wanted. You ask your local dealer A do a "dealer swap"(dealer trade) with dealer B. You then buy the car from your local dealer A. You will pay some extra fee, like transportation. If this is a new car that never titled, supposedly you will be the first owner if you brought. If this is a Clarity, I assume you can also claim federal tax credit.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Whoops. My bad. I got carried away.
    It’s the evil SPORT button not the HV Charge button. FWIW, I haven’t even tried HV Charge yet in almost 2 years because I use @insightman’s HV label on the D button on trips to remind me to put her back in HV after a stop. This way I only lose a bar or two on a 250 mile trip.
    I’m a certified professional thread drifter; don’t try this at home.

MPower and insightman like this.
  14. Let us know if this works out. We had an Oregon dealer try to swap with multiple California dealers for several weeks. They would only swap “same for same”. So maybe a different color or trim level Clarity for Clarity, but no Accord for a Clarity.

Ultimately, we had a California dealer deliver the car to Oregon.

15. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I bought my Clarity from my local Honda dealer in VT. Because I wanted a color they did not have, they got it from a dealer in NY. I dont know what arrangement they made with the NY dealer, but I bought it from the VT dealer just as though it had been their car to begin with.

They must have driven it over, since the odometer reading was almost exactly the distance from the Albany dealer to my local dealer and when he told me he could get it, the salesman said it was still in transit to the NY dealer.

netvm and KentuckyKen like this.
  16. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

When we bought our Clarity, our local dealer in Michigan did not have the color we wanted, so they traded another Michigan dealer that did have a red one for an Accord Hybrid. The swap was transparent to us, with no transportation cost (except for the 75 miles extra on the odometer because they drove the Clarity and Accord between dealers for the trade). We did all the buying process from our local dealer. Our dealer told us it was a regular, routine thing for dealers to trade vehicles to close a sale. But maybe that’s just within a state or region and maybe just with similar priced vehicles?

netvm likes this.
  17. netvm

netvm New Member

Really good to know. Just to confirm that you are the first owner(originla owner) of this car on the title, right? The reason I ask is I want to make sure federal tax credit is still available to the buyer.

18. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Yes, I appear as the original owner and I did get the federal tax credit for 2018 (VT does not have a State credit). My dealer treated it as a regular occurrence -- no big deal. VT is so small that they must often get their cars from out of state.

The NY dealer had done the original predelivery inspection. The VT dealer forgot to do the "just before delivery" inspection. I had to draw that to their attention.

netvm likes this.
  19. netvm

netvm New Member

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately my local dealer don't want to do a "dealer trade". In this case, there is no car trade between dealers, but transfer car from another dealer to my local dealer if they are willing to. So the only hope for me is Honda will deliver 2020 Clarity to all 50 states.

20. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I don't know that my dealer swapped. It may just have been a transfer. I have mo idea what the arrangement was between the dealers.