Mustang Mach E is clearly Tesla Model Y re-badged- but not bad!!

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by 101101, Nov 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

My biggest concern was they would mess up the rear end. In my opinion they didn't.
    By making that opaque bit of cladding on the roof the same color as the glass they massively reduced the damage it would have done to they styling. I feel they need to improve the look of the steering wheel a bit (maybe the materials) and maybe rethink the BMW massive knobs a bit but over all its very good. Even saw the Tesla white on black interior. Even relatively good on the rims given conventional design but they kept good range. Noted charge rates are down a bit. Their presentation seemed nervous, a bit like the Model 3 presentation. But over all Good Job Ford!!!

The stuff is so close I have to think even over Tesla's open source they are licensing a bunch from Tesla. But this is perfectly in line with Musk's plan. They are surely doing the same with the F150. Really smart on Ford's behalf. Going a little more Model S/X with the speedo screen also in front of the steering wheel and then noting in the presentation the Tesla approach of not always having that and then noting good ideas coming from Silicon Valley. This bodes very well for Ford and Tesla and good for the planet and humanity.

Very glad they didn't do any style hobblers or attempts at sabotage. Now they have to keep the dealers from sabotaging their sales.

When I say re- adged it goes beyond what Chysler did when they put in Mitsubishi drive trains but it seems Ford will be producing their own stock/products to the extent that Ford does that. It will be interesting to seek if Ford is going to do motor assembly and cells and packs. That would make sense and be in line with Musk's stated intent. Now Tesla needs to keep the bar high and not let partners slow it down.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Really like the door handle design, very cool. Now Ford and Tesla need to lose those air brake mirrors. Tesla needs to show the production Model Y at the pick up unveil now. Really like them to also show the production Semi and Roadster as well.
    Funny that Ford named their dev team Edison- gonna Tesla gonna get Edison(ed) again. Have to hand it to Ford though.
    Tesla did the whole global auto industry a huge favor, it showed them a way forward. Hackett's attitude is right about
    the future being their's to lose. That is the right attitude. I think at some point Ford will license Tesla's Autopilot tech as well.

4. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

I don't think so. Here is what https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2021-tesla-model-y-vs-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e/ states: "We’ll just say the Model Y looks like a bigger Model 3, while the Mach E looks a little bit Mustang-esque. One significant difference is that Tesla fitted some of the Model 3’s parts to the Model Y (including the headlights) to save money, while Ford designed the Mustang Mach E as a new car from the ground up. It shares nothing other than an emblem with the emblematic two-door sports car." The two cars certainly resemble each other, but notice that the wheels are differently placed. Also, the Ford qualifies for the full $7,500 Federal tax credit. FordTesla.jpg

5. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

From Ars Technica: "Speaking of, the motors are an in-house Ford design, evolved from the company's experience with its hybrid line up." "For the battery pack, Ford is using pouch cells from LG Chem,..."

Tesla batteries use a cylinder cell design.

There is no doubt that the Tesla Model 3 influenced the Ford design, but is not a clone of a Tesla.

6. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It won't be the first or last time when independent teams come up with similar solutions.

I still have fond memories of test driving a Ford Escape hybrid. It was great 'boat' over a badly pot holed road.

Bob Wilson

DaleL likes this.
  9. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Come on Dael Ars Technica? That has to be the biggest pay to lie shill rag in the history of fake media. Often shilling for Sony (not sure if Sony owned them) but its stuff like Sony gets hacked by the public and its own customers for its horrid behavior, gets literally taken off line and really taken down for months in a total meld down reboot and the response including the from the Obama admin was to blame it on North Korea- as idiotic as believing the Bush admin wasn't complicit in 911 to lie us into a war for the useless project of stealing Iraq's oil- its that level of nonsense. Digital Trends isn't much better.

Why did Ford make the new Mustang a cross over??? Because that is what Tesla had on hand. Of all places why was it launched right next to where Tesla will unveil it Truck at the Hawthorn facility- where its done its past unveils? Because Tesla was still working on the prototypes along with some Ford people right down to the wire at that Tesla prepping facility. That stupidity about Musk's plane being inconvenienced is nonsense. Motor Trend has a shill article that tries to compare the dimensions of Mach E to the Model 3 and the Y but doing the comparisons to the 3 only and saying the Y's dimensions aren't known except its a higher roof line 3 (when they are known- look at Elektrek- essentially the same as the Mach E) shows more cover spin. If you're paying attention you know Tesla is using LG Chem in China right now and is switching to pouches as well.

This is no big deal, Ford is licensing Tesla's tech. But it won't fool the 4chan community even if shops like Monroe's will be asked not to elaborate on what is totally obvious. All the BS FUD around it is they don't want to harm Ford's stock more or its reputation and they don't wasn't to put people off with recycled Tesla (which would be perceived as a knock off or step down) but this is similar to the kind of relationship Google has with the Android phone makers- here Tesla is Google. But Ford is bringing its experience and is licensing from others too like VW and Rivian. This is not a bad thing but it is a totally obvious thing for people paying attention and its great for both Tesla and Ford and great for all of us. Its a bad thing if your David Unicor because it blows up your whole line of utter BS because its clear Tesla is the Intel Inside. Not surprising if you look at SpaceX and how revolutionary what it is doing is.

VW, Ford, Honda, BMW and FCA-Peugeot will all license Tesla's stuff beyond its open source- they do much better that way. But they still have mergers ahead unless they become drone makers and flying car makers and branch off into take over aviation and shipping.

10. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the white out lights are cool too. Guessing there could be some VW ID platform tech and some Rivian tech in it too.
    But just as a thought experiment if you showed people a 2019 Mustang and a Model Y and asked people about the Mustang Mach E stripped of its branding what they were looking at they would say a Model Y or at most a Mustang flavored Model Y.

11. bwilson4web

One has 5 seats and the other 7.

Bob Wilson

DaleL likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Here is the simple fact. There is a lot of customer interest in SUVs and crossovers and they sell a lot in the US. That is why most new entrants (Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, VW, GM) are coming up with these vehicles and that is why Tesla is going towards that market. I do not see anything sinister in the fact that most manufacturers are targeting the $50,000 range cross over, that is where a lot of demand is. Tesla is going to have a competition and the competition is going to where they think they will have the best chance. We need more competition not less and Tesla has to be prepared to compete in that. I am not for a monopoly of Tesla or anybody else.

Do auto manufacturers borrow ideas and concepts from others? Yes, it happens all the time. Does Mach-E have some features that reminds one of Tesla? Possibly? Is Mach-E a clone of the Tesla Y? Nothing that I have seen or read (and I have done a lot of reading on the MACH-E recently) indicates that. If you have some evidence of that, I would love to see it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  14. bwilson4web

"Autoline After Hours" is doing a program on Thursday with the Ford team:
    • Dave Pericak, Ford Engineering Director
    • Chris Walter, Ford Exterior Design Manager
    • Interviewers: Eric Nobel, The CARLAB, Bob Gritzinger, Wards Intelligence, and John McElroy, Autoline.tv
    You can submit questions to [email protected] I've already sent mine.

Bob Wilson

15. bwilson4web

New information: http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=64764#more-64764

FORD MUSTANG MACH-E DETAILS

We’ve got more technical data on the Ford Mach-E. There are two battery sizes, with cells from LG, and they are liquid cooled and heated. A 75 kWh battery will deliver 220-230 miles of driving range. A 98-kWh battery will deliver over 300 miles of range. The base car will be rear wheel drive, with a 210-kW motor. Ford says it will be as fast as a Porsche Macan S. The all-wheel-drive version has an additional 50-kW motor mounted between the front wheels. The Mach-E GT will come with 459 horsepower and 612 pound-feet of torque and will go from 0 to 60 mph in about 3.5 seconds. Ford says it will will be as fast as a 911 GTS.

The Mach-E can use 150-kW fast chargers that will deliver 47 miles of range in 10 minutes. You can buy a 48-amp, 220-volt charger through Amazon, which will also arrange to have it installed in your home, though no price was announced. It will provide 32 miles of range for every hour of charging. And by using the Ford Pass app on your phone, you can use almost any charging service, instead of having to open different accounts with each one.

Gosh this is a disappointment:
    • (75 kWh / 230 mi) * 100 = 32.6 kWh/100 mi
    • (98 kWh / 300 mi) * 100 = 32.6 kWh/100 mi
    • "150 kW fast charger delivers 47 mi in 10 min" vs 80 mi in 10 minutes, SR+ Model 3
    • "32 miles of range for every hour of charging" (L2) vs 32 miles of range in SR+ Model 3
    The reason for efficient EV cars is to reduce the amount of batteries and charge time required. But let's wait for the production Mach-E numbers.

Bob Wilson

16. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

Ford Mach-E has many advantages besides a better design over the dated Model Y.

1. Blind side indicators.
    2. Rear Cross Track Warning
    3. Lane keeping that works 100% vs. Tesla's 5%
    4. Adaptive cruise with no random braking.
    5. Rear wiper
    6. Dedicated gear shifter.
    7. Dedicated mirror controls
    8. Dedicated wiper controls
    9. Dedicated lights controls
    10. Dedicated wiper controls.
    11. CCS charging port
    12. Inline driver's screen