Protecting your home level 2 charging station at nearly no cost or effort

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Francois, Nov 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Francois

Francois Active Member

With winter starting I decided to protect my home charging station from freezing rain. Just sharing with you guys because it only cost me $29 to do so as I simply bought a carpet for car trunks at Walmart. Since it was large, I cut it in two so I even have a spare in case the one I installed ever rips.

And this has the added benefit of making my charging station less visible from the street since the carpet hides the light from the EVDuty40. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eastpole, GPM432 and Esprit1st like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I am hiding my evduty behind my fence but the cable and connector will be in the front.

This solution might work behind the fence but I doubt my gf would agree to something this ugly visible in the front :)

No offence...

Since I tend to overengineer things I'm planning on making a small sloped roof over the cable and connector, out of a treated wood structure with cedar shingles.
    At the rate my home renovations are going lately, this should be completed in a few years...

eastpole likes this.
  4. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Francois, I might choose a different way to do it, but I appreciate the nudge to think about this and get it working before the next snowfall. :) Yours is definitely better on a windy freezing rain day than a normal 'weather hat' design. Congrats on your Kona, too!

Francois likes this.
  5. Francois

Francois Active Member

It ain't pretty but it offers a quick and inexpensive solution. ;)

electriceddy likes this.