Is the LEAF reliable?

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by MatiP-EVFan4ever, Nov 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MatiP-EVFan4ever

MatiP-EVFan4ever New Member

I'm thinking about buying a Leaf... It has a decent autonomy, good performance specs and the design is stunning in my opinion. But most importantly, I would like to know whether this car is reliable or not.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. We owned a 2013 Leaf, and upgraded to the 2019 Leaf Plus this summer (and have put about 5000 miles on it since). Our only maintenance item on the 2013 Leaf beyond tires and front rotors (they rusted from sitting outside in winters in snow and salt) was front ball joint. So ~$1000 over the 6 years we had the Leaf. That was on par or better than our Corolla, Optima, and Sedona.

KENNY likes this.
  4. DJP

DJP Active Member

We owned a 2015 and now a 2016 and 2018, and never have had a problem.

KENNY likes this.
  5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Owned a 2016 30kwh and now have a 2018 40kwh. Never had a problem with either. I traded the 2016 in because the generous Ontario subsidies were to be cancelled by the incoming conservative government and I wanted to get the extra battery capacity. No regrets.

KENNY likes this.
  6. KENNY

KENNY New Member

44,000 kms in 15 months on my 2018 SL. No issues at all. Best car I’ve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

As a general rule, EV's have less moving parts, less parts subject to high stress like that in an combustion engine, and hence are less likely to have reliability problems. Concerns with the LEAF have been more with the thermal management. The advice that the LEAF may not be suited for extreme weather conditions i.e. very hot places like Arizona or very cold places.

So the question you should be asking is what are my usage conditions? If you use it for moderate distances, do not need to frequently use fast chargers, are not going to be driving long distances in extreme temperatures, can keep it parked in a shaded area, and you like the car, it should work. It has been there for a long time and generally people like it.

Below is snippet from the owners manual.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115815_battery-life-of-2018-nissan-leaf-vs-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-cars-what-manuals-suggest
    upload_2019-11-20_21-3-0.png

Conductor likes this.
  9. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

KENNY likes this.