LEAF Battery capacity loss and battery life

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by jim, Dec 14, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ColoradoLeaf

ColoradoLeaf New Member

Unfortunately the 8 yr/100kmile warranty was not in place on the early Leaves. My 2012 with 81000 miles has 8 bars, but my only option is to pay $6500 to restore it to its full 24 kw-hr range. I assume I'd get 84 vs. 74 miles, but it is still not worth it. My next EV will start at a 250 mile range, so even 50% degradation will still be a great car.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jack Ng

Jack Ng New Member

I just realize they have this recall for 2016-2017 30kWh owners. I haven't heard about it (no mail or email contact) until I saw that's an option to check "free" repair under my recall service tab. This sounds a little fishy to me. So they will reprogram/recalibrate the controller to display "accurate" results? It sounds like a way out for them to guarantee a new battery now that I'm 40k in with the new "accurate" results shows full bars instead of 3 missing!

Did anyone bring in their 2016 or 2017 Leaf for this recall recently?

http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-nissan-leaf-battery-fix/

Domenick likes this.
  4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I think that was Nissan's reaction to the "Rapidgate" problem with newer Leafs.

I'd be suspicious too, given Nissan's repeated attempts to assure customers that a problem with rapid aging in the battery pack is merely a software or calibration problem. But I haven't seen any suggestion that Nissan is rigging the software to show a lower loss than is really there. Seems to me that doing that would open them to charges of fraud. Of course, one only needs to glance at the Dieselgate fraud to see that sometimes even major auto makers do engage in such fraud... but I, for one, certainly wouldn't accuse Nissan of that without some compelling evidence.

5. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Yes correct to my understanding of the warranty as well. However, this can be done a theoretical unlimited number of times during the warranty period. So if they would repair back to 9 bars, then a year later you are back down to 6, rinse and repeat. If it's all under warranty, so be it.

6. Kenneth Bokor

I believe this was for the 2016-2017 30kWh Leafs. A recalibration of the software to represent a more accurate SoC. The user was asking about this model Leaf, not the 2.0 which is where your "Rapidgate" comment would be directed to.

I personally don't feel anything fishy is going on PP.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pam V

Pam V New Member

I just came across this thread as I was searching how Nissan handles replacing Leaf batteries that re still under warranty. Thought I would post my stats and general dissatisfaction. I have a 2017 Leaf, 30,000 miles. I have owned it for 2 years and 3 months. I have lost 3 bars. Granted - I do live in AZ. But this car is used for commuting, I don't use fast charging, and I really don't see what I could be doing that has made this battery degrade so quickly. I am so disappointed. This has not soured me on EVs in general - but definitely has on Nissan. And to boot - it has little to no value is I wanted to resell or trade in. I can't figure out why some energy hasn't gone into making this product better.

I attended an EV event yesterday that SRP was holding. There were about 10 different EVs there and all were owned by real people who allowed folks to test drive their vehicles and ask questions about ownership. The one EV that wasn't represented? The Nissan Leaf. Go figure.

9. Kenneth Bokor

Hi Pam, thanks very much for sharing your experience and I too am disappointed in your result and maybe I would feel exactly as you in the same circumstance. You mentioned nothing about any warranty repairs on the battery yet, so I am guessing either you've not yet hit the warranty threshold for action, have tried and not succeeded or have not tried to contact Nissan about this.

I still hold true to my general statement - most of the Leafs on the road are doing well and the vast majority of owners that I talk with, in person or on-line, absolutely love their Leafs. They realize some of it's shortcomings, however still love the brand.

Your example of an EV event is not uncommon, but not common either. The number of any brand of EV except for Teslas that owners bring to an EV event differs each time. I've been to a 3 of the same event that is held each year and each time, the number of cars and types that come out are different. Sometime more Leafs, sometimes not as much as an example. So I don't really believe that what you insinuate in your "no Leaf EV represented" statement is accurate as a whole to the entire EV landscape and ownership.

I certainly understand the shortcomings of the Leaf, however still recognize the value and importance this "Single-Best EV Model Sold To Date Globally" model has impacted the BEV marketplace. With well over 450,000 Leafs sold globally, there are always going to be some negative examples and unfortunate circumstances that occur. As with any car manufacturer period. To say that no car is immune from any issues is nonsense.

So while your particular case is not desirable, I am guessing you've not yet crossed the warranty threshold and are still within specified battery capacity limits. When I purchased my 2018 40kWh Leaf, I knew full well of the passive thermal management and cases where owners had issues and the history. Yet I still chose to buy it. Why? Because it meets my daily driving needs for now and into the future, even at a 66% battery loss. With 8 year warranty, I felt that when the battery degraded below the warranty threshold, I would get it fixed to stay at that level and it would still be a fine vehicle for my use and for my families use.

I'm hoping I don't loose 3 bars in 60,000 miles like you've stated, and I too don't really do many Fast Charges per year (about 5-10 per year), so I am expecting this car to last 8 years. That was my goal.

So while I feel for you and wish you best of luck in the future with your Leaf, as I am sure you do love your car, I don't think the picture you are painting of Nissan and the Leaf being a complete BEV failure and Nissan not providing a quality product, is accurate globally. Sure I can find many instances of unhappy owners and Nissan not doing the right thing to help them, however I can find even more of the same with all the other manufacturers - including Tesla. I know many unhappy Tesla owners as well as other brands. So your case is not unique.

DJP likes this.
  10. Pam V

Pam V New Member

I really do like the Leaf and I want to love it. I partially blame the climate I live in - it is hot. AZ may not be an ideal place for Leafs.

I am almost at the Warrant level - I imagine that will happen within the next 6 months or so. And I will definitely be taking it in. My commute to work is about 22 miles one way, and currently, the sole purpose of the car is to get me back and forth.

I keep thinking I am doing something wrong but when we have had the battery checked, the dealership says everything looks normal and there is no evidence of not charging properly.

You are correct - I am a bit jaded at the moment and it could just be my car. Maybe once a warranty battery is put in - I will fare better. I am really hoping that when the time comes, Nissan doesn't put a unit in that only brings me back to having 10 bars.

Thanks for your response as well.

11. Kenneth Bokor

Thank you as well. You should not have to blame the climate and I hope all goes well when you finally take it in for warranty servicing. Hope you can provide us an update at that time.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pam V

Pam V New Member

Just as a quick update - my Leaf battery hit 8 bars. My husband took it into Nissan today and they are ordering a new battery for the car. Should be here in 4-6 weeks. Ill keep you posted on how that goes.

Stay safe!

Domenick likes this.
  14. Thanks for that.

15. If you look at mynissanleaf.com some newer Leaf Owners is Phoenix are reporting the latest battery doing really well, maybe better than some cold climates.

16. Pam V

Pam V New Member

Another update on the replacement battery for my 2017 Leaf...

Within 10 days, Nissan called and told us the battery was in. Dropped it off, and 2 days later - newer, and better battery! They installed the 40k battery - woo hoo! A bit of an upgrade! I am pleasantly surprised and thrilled Nissan went the distance for the replacement. Hopefully this one lasts longer : )

Pam

Domenick and Electra like this.
  17. Great news, thanks for sharing. :)

18. Kenneth Bokor

My MY2018 40kWh is at 2 years, 93% SoH according to LSP, it was at 98.9% when I picked it up brand new. Over 43,000kms and zero issues. I'm very happy with it!

KENNY and DJP like this.
  19. Thanks for the update, Kenneth.

Kenneth Bokor likes this.
  20. KENNY

KENNY New Member

I’ve had my 2018 40KW Leaf for 21 months. It has 59,000 KM, >91% SOH according to LSP and I have never had to bring it in for anything other than the yearly inspection and the grounding plate recall(done at the same time). I’m going to blow past the warranty in the next month and have no worries at all. I love this car and if I crashed it today I’d order another one tomorrow. The passively cooled battery is of no concern to me whatsoever in the climate in which I live(Southern Ontario). Even accounting for an estimated 70% SOH in 4 years and a wintertime range drop of 30% on the freeway, it will still take me everywhere I want to go. No regrets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

DJP and Domenick like this.
  21. Kenneth Bokor

Great to hear Kenny! You like so many of the vast majority of Leaf owners have similar stories...they love their Leaf!

22. Roy_H

Roy_H Active Member

I just purchased a 2013 LEAF. It of course has the small battery, and 134k kilometers (I live in BC, Canada). It still charges to 12 bars and I set the charge from 80% limit to 100%, but only charge to 90%. This gives me over 100km range. I am pleasantly surprised at the range and charge capability for this age and mileage. I suspect this is because this car does not have the CHAdemO connector and therefore has never been fast charged. Also because of the mild weather.

Domenick and DougWantsALeaf like this.
  23. That's a great result, Roy! Congrats on the car.