A rant about regen

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hobbit, Sep 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As I mentioned before, the car is a safe place to text, put makeup on, eat etc. You don't have to pay attention to where you're going. The GPS will tell you when to turn

What I'm really saying here is people don't pay attention to the road. It doesn't matter if your brakes light is on or not. They do other things.

I see people drive at night without lights on, people swerve left and right. I witnessed a hit and run off a motorcycle guy the other day. In other countries they have mandatory drivers Ed. THAT'S what we really need here, not drivers being educated by their parents who don't know how to drive either.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Kirk, Kamloops_KoNa, ehatch and 2 others like this.
  4. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I think with regen braking one has to not forget to drive the car and use your brakes as heads up to the car behind that we are slowing down and/or stopping. It is too easy to let the technology drive as regen slows us down in a different way. I have learned to always give a tap of the brakes a few times when slowing down to alert drivers behind me that is happening. It is easy to get lazy and not use your feet. lol It would be great if regen slowing yielded consistent brake lights but not so far in my experience.

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I've finally put together a "driving experience" page which covers regeneration
    and drive-modes extensively and tries to visually diagram the whole matrix
    of how configurable the car is:

. http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/regen.html

I completely agree on using the brake lights [and more if needed]
    to get following drivers to bloody pay attention. That's one of
    several reasons to want neutral at a stop without fumbling.

_H*

Kirk, lars2885 and ehatch like this.
  6. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

The brake lights come on when regen reaches the second bar. I checked.
    Has anybody compared the overall efficacy of Automatic regen vs manual with the paddles?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Don't know... I just use ECO mode all the time, and never have to touch the paddles. It has just the right regen slow down for me, And the less aggressive throttle response gives me more range to work with to accelerate and drive smoothly as needed. If I want power, can still mash the pedal, and gives me all I need.

Where I have to readjust is when I get in our ICE car, and need to feather the throttle more gently to avoid jerky acceleration. And then it doesn't want to stop, and have no choice but to use the brakes all the time.

So yeah, have really come to appreciate how nice the Kona is to drive. Regen is not only efficient, but also makes for a more pleasant driving experience.

Kirk likes this.
  9. Not true, brake lights come on earlier. At least mine are.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

So, in the US, FMVSS still doesn't mandate that the "stop lamps" come on under regenerative braking. It just says that they 'may' come on. So each manufacturer could do their own thing.

There is an international spec (http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R13hr2e.pdf) that specifies when the "stop lamps" should come on. Not sure who follows it. And even this one has a "may" section:
    <= 0.7 m/s/s -- No lights
    >0.7 m/s/s and <= 1.3 m/s/s -- maybe lights
    > 1.3 ms/s/s -- lights

Also, the little bars on the dash may or may not actually align with decel rates (wouldn't be the first time that a GUI was more about being pretty than accurate).

ehatch likes this.
  11. GdB

GdB New Member

I just read hobbit's page linked above and I am surprised I have not yet noticed the regen while braking, but will look more closely. In my grey/white 2019 Kona EV, I prefer Regen 3 except when traffic is light, because I thought it it saves the brakes, but if that's wrong, maybe I'll change my habit. BTW has anyone seen this article were they were able to get almost 10miles/kwh driving at 18.6MPH average? I wonder if they folded the mirrors and pumped up the tires.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. How do you know it is not regening? What does your gauge on the left side dash show? If bars appear below the middle, you are regening.

14. Try using the electricity use menu- (under battery care) - the power regenerated is accurately displayed under the drivetrain icon. Here is a screenshot from a 2019 model using the smaller screen, the same menu is available in the 10.25" screen as well:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

Kirk and mho like this.
  15. To be fair, that's the idea. It's supposed to be transparent.

16. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

I'm jealous, I don't have an "Electricity Use" screen in my 2021 Preferred model. And I have spent far too much time exploring the menus. Maybe a secret branch?:)
    On regen in general (having read through this whole thread) I have a few points to add:
    Regen is terrific on long mountain hills, and if pulling a trailer (or being pushed by a trailer:)). Back in the mists of time, when minivans roamed the earth, I was pulling a boat through the Western Canadian mountains, and had to stop many times to let my brakes recover, and resolved never to do that again without trailer brakes. Using engine braking has limits, and transmissions are expensive. Using regen completely solves that problem, and banks 80% of the energy!
    My regular route is 20kms along a winding river road (heaven if you're on 2 wheels), going up and down between 60 and 90kph. Regen 1 is perfect in these conditions, as long as you have nobody behind you. If I'm being closely followed, I would go back to my default regen 0 and use the brake pedal.
    Safe driving requires cultivating good habits, and I worry about people habitually using one-pedal-driving. Will they lose the auto-reflex brake pedal habit?
    Like many have said, my default is Eco and regen 0, and why did they not make 0 a possible default in drive mode settings?
    I had a hitch put on, and it's working fine. The wiring was routine. Within its towing weight limits, it makes a fine towing vehicle, and regen is the icing on the cake!

17. NRH

NRH Active Member

Regen works about the same, regardless of whether you slow down with the brake pedal, the left column paddle, or by coasting with a high Regen setting. None of those will apply the friction brakes unless you're braking aggressively.

Personally, I prefer to leave the Regen setting at zero, so that I can coast more easily. When I press on the brake pedal to slow down, the car regenerates (you'll see it counting up the miles in the center of the eco-mode speedometer display). To me, this seems more efficient than trying to feather the accelerator just right to allow the car to coast. Inevitably with a high Regen level I'm alternately using a little power, and then a little Regen just to try and maintain the same speed, and this causes tiny losses.

18. Well, I guess that is why Hyundai leaves it to user choice. Some like one pedal driving (like me), others prefer to use the brake.

The only downside of one pedal driving, is when I get in my ICE car, it seems weird, like it wants to coast forever, and I HAVE to use the brake,...lol. But I am a pretty adaptable guy, so no problem...:cool:

19. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

I found it. Useful information.

Kirk, eastpole and electriceddy like this.