Someone hacked my Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ProspectiveBuyer, Oct 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I parked my car to go on a hike this weekend. When I came back an hour later, the windows were rolled down and the doors were unlocked. There was cash missing as well as a duffel bag of clothes and a backpack with my workout gear. Luckily, I had my ID and credit card with me. I never leave my windows down and I know that I locked my car when I left. Has anyone had something like this happen? I also noticed that the settings seem to be off now. I used to be able to lock my car and would see the lights flash and hear a noise letting me know that it was locked. And that's no longer the case. I tried to go in the settings and see if it looked right. It did. I suppose I should probably just take it to the dealer on Monday to see what happened. But wondered if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions on any of this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. descolado

descolado Member

4. descolado

descolado Member

5. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

When I find interesting about this is that the windows were rolled down. What thief would waste time rolling out all four windows?Honda is one of the few cars where holding down the unlock key on the fob then rolls the windows down.

As others have written, this makes me wonder about devices that simulate the key Fob:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

Like what upstairs poster said.
    If you click unlock once wait a second and hold the unlock button down. All windows including the moonroof will open depending how long you hold it down.
    Could be possible you hit lock by accident or the car auto lock itself.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

When you took off on your hike, did you have anything else in your pocket besides the fob? I’ve had fob buttons inadvertently pressed by other stuff in my pocket.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  9. Thanks for your responses. I'm nearly certain that's what happened to me. This was no accident. I'll probably look into getting an RFID pouch like they mentioned in one of those articles. At least it's a start. But as the articles say, the automakers (Honda in this case) should look into technology to preventing this from happening.

10. ManKo

ManKo Member

I can’t imagine if someone cloned your fob they would have rolled down the windows. On the other hand, (as Sandroad stated above) if somehow that unlock button was pressed down in the correct fashion by something else in your pocket/bag it would do exactly what you are describing - unlock your doors and roll down all of your windows.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  11. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

All these attacks mentioned are not cloning a key which would be very difficult to do.

The attacks are just amplification attacks where they have an amplifier near where your key fob is stored, and a second one near the car, so the car can communicate back and forth to the key fob like you are standing at the door. Then the thief just opens the door. The technology for this attack is very simple and easy to do.

Clarity_Newbie likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ManKo

ManKo Member

This type of attack (amplification) you are describing wouldn’t have resulted in the ops windows all being down. It would have simply resulted in his doors being unlocked.

The simplest explanation here is that something in the ops pocket pushed in the unlock button on their fob causing the doors to unlock and the windows to go down.

stacey burke likes this.
  14. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

This has happened to me. I have left the car (knowing it was locked - I pressed the button on the door) went inside for a cup of coffee and returned in less than 3 minutes... all of the windows down and nothing taken from the car. The fob in my pocket was pressed down by coins in my pocket. The only thing different was it was still locked. I believe it re-locks itself after 15 to 30 seconds.

15. ManKo

ManKo Member

You have the auto relock enabled in your infotainment which would explain the difference between your situation and the ops. I never enabled it on mine so mine would behave exactly like the ops. I’m not trying to be dismissive to the ops concerns here, but the simplest explanation here is exactly what you described. Like I said above, if someone had used an amplification hack it would have simply unlocked the doors. The only way for the windows to go down is either starting the vehicle and lowering them, or pressing and holding down the unlock button.

Ray B likes this.
  16. So a crime of opportunity? Found the car unlocked with windows down and robbed the OP?

Ceetee likes this.
  17. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Seems like a classic case of Occam's razor.

descolado and Ray B like this.