Honda Quarterly Loss - Streamlining Offerings

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Steven B, May 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Thanks for the article, David. I'm looking forward to buying the two motor hybrid Pilot in a few years.

From the article, the CEO said,
    "At the same time, our regional models such as the N Series for Japan, Pilot for North America and Crider for China are playing an important role as a source of growth for each respective region. . . "
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

4. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Two take aways: 1) "we will reduce the total number of variations at the trim and option level for our global models to one-third of what we have now" and 2) we will reduce the number of manhours we use for the development of mass-production models by 30%".

So, 2/3 fewer options/trims and 1/3 less engineering in the those designs.

5. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

With the new CR-V Hybrid featuring the 2.0L Atkinson engine from the Accord Hybrid, I am thinking Honda needs to develop a 2.4 L or 3.0L Atkinson engine for the Pilot PHEV. Surely they won't leave the 3.5L V-6 in place for it.

Toyota has a 2.5L Atkinson 4 cylinder. Does anyone have a 4 cylinder Atkinson larger than that? The luxury brands have been pairing 4 cylinder turbos with their electric motors for a few years, but now BMW has decided to switch the X5 plugin to an inline 6. Mitsu had put a weak 2.0L 4 cylinder in the Outlander PHEV and have gotten wiser and now puts a 2.4L Atkinson in it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member