Winter handling

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Nikko508, Oct 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

So I bought my clarity about 3 months ago and I really like the car. I saw a post on here about winter tires and started to wonder how this car handled the snow.
    Has anyone driven this car in significant snow or ice. How does it handle. Do I need to invest in winter tires? I drive about 50 miles one way to work on the highway daily.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

I only have a Clarity on order, but as someone who lives in frigid northern Alberta, I can say with absolute certainty that winter tires are the single most important safety item when driving on snow and ice. Nothing else will hugely reduce your braking distances.

M. Shah, insightman and Nikko508 like this.
  4. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

I had the clarity since Nov 2018 in NYC. We had some light snow. No problem what so ever. Usually the highway is clear of snow.

Agree winter tires play a big part when the weather drops and the rubber no lower grips the road. I know a few guys that run on winter all year round over all season.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Nikko508 likes this.
  5. markc

markc New Member

We have had our Clarity for a year so we are headed into our second Colorado winter (in fact it is snowing right now here in Boulder). We have the stock tires on the car and do have plans to replace them before we have to. I commuted back and forth to work every day last year with no handling problems. The times the Clarity stayed in the garage I was mostly worried about the giant glacier that gets piled in my parking spot breaking the bodywork than the handling on the road. When the time comes to replace the tires we will be looking at true all-season tires

Nikko508 likes this.
  6. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Purchased my Clarity December 2017, so I have gone through 2 winters with original tires and no problems on snow covered roads.

Nikko508 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GV Ottawa

GV Ottawa Member

I iive in Ottawa. No problems with winter handling whatsoever in lots of snow and ice last winter ... of course I did have winter tires installed.

9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

No problems here with driving on snowy/ice roads... oh wait that's when I drive my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

You don't say where you live, but I assume it's someplace that gets snowy and icy. If you are commuting in any car 100 miles a day in snow country, winter tires are a great investment. You may not need them everyday, but that one time you have to stop ot make an emergency maneuver, they could be a lifesaver.

11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I had no trouble last winter using winter tires in the same size as the OEMs. It seemed to me that it handled much better than my 2012 Prius Plugin which also had the same brand of winter tires in a much smaller size. Of course I am not a hot shot driver; as I have mentioned before I am a passenger who just happens to be in the driver's seat.

Here in VT my driving is mainly on paved roads which we actually plow (unlike southern IL where they do not seem to have heard of snowplows even for their interstates. Seeing a succession of 18wheelers in the ditch with their wheels in the air is a disheartening sight as you tootle along on winter tires.:eek:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I bought the Clarity accessory rims and put the OEM tires on them. I put my snow tires on the OEM rims (because I like the accessory rims better, even though they don't have the noise-canceling resonators). Not only do snow tires make your car safer in the winter (assuming you drive in snow), but having an alternate set of tires stretches the life of your OEM tires.

Also, having the extra rims makes it easier to rotate my tires by doing it when I'm switching from winter to 3-season tires and vice-versa.

One more thing: If you get a flat tire near home, and someone at your home is strong (a Clarity rim+tire weighs 55 lbs), they can bring it to you (along with a jack and a wrench). You could also use one of the off-season tires as a spare if you didn't mind losing a big chunk of trunk space (unfortunately, there's no easy way to safely tie the rim down in the trunk).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    KentuckyKen likes this.
  14. Harold lowery

Harold lowery New Member

The factory energy saving tires are a hard compound, which makes for a not so good all season tire. If you can live with the fuel mileage decrease, any quality all season or winter tire will make a significant positive difference in winter performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

^^^ True!

The factory energy saver tires are best: low rolling resistance, dry, summer OEM rubber.

I'd get a winter set when my OEM runs out just because I like the high silica content that makes it grippy all year round....

16. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I had a set of wheels with Michelin XIce snow tires that I bought for my ‘16 accord touring that fit just fine on the clarity. The car drove well on them with the extra weight causing the clarity to handle better then the accord in the snow.

4sallypat, Nikko508 and MPower like this.