Dealership service tech- "We need to replace your cabin air filters because they cool the EV motor"

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by kunz427, Sep 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kunz427

kunz427 Member

Was told this during my second service. They wanted $185 for the engine and cabin filters and not replacing them would cause "dirt" to go into the ev motor. First experience where the dealer tried to use they're lack of knowledge about the Clarity to bamboozle me.

Daniel M W and Walt R like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I bought two filters from a Honda parts dealer for $50 each. They are dead simple to replace.

4. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Which dealership?

5. kunz427

kunz427 Member

Westborough, MA

6. AREED

AREED New Member

FYI-These cabin air filters can be had for about $20 WIX 24201

228ra and ClarityDoc like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. $50 each?
    For cabin filter, engine air cleaner?

9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Dang, I ordered a cabin filter off Amazon for $12. Perfect fit.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    228ra likes this.
  10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The lack of scruples and integrity of most dealerships never fail to amaze me.

Both are easy peasy to replace in about 2 min.
    The engine air filter will not need replacing on Honda’s usual schedule since for most of us, the ICE doesn’t run that much. Note that the Maintenance Minder appears not to separate out HV miles and so will probably indicate replacement long before it’s really needed. Just adjust according to how much HV driving you do.
    The cabin air filter is behind the glove box and all you have to do is make sure the arrow (air flow) is pointing down.

Make sure you pick up some genuine Honda proton polish and electron lubricant to keep the battery in tip top condition. (Insert sarcastic font)

11. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

^ But don’t apply too much electron lubricant since that can cause the electrons to slide out of the battery. ;)

MPower, KentuckyKen and Daniel M W like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

From Majestic Honda online parts the Honda cabin air filter is $14.XX and the Honda engine air filter is $19.XX. The set could be shipped to your front door for about $40. So the dealer in the OP basically wanted $145 to install them. Since a tech could do both in about 5 minutes, that’s a pretty high hourly rate.

ddddcsd and KentuckyKen like this.
  14. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

So I’ve been thinking about dealers and the challenges they face because I’ve had a terrible time with my local Toyota dealer. Instead of charging $185 for those 2 filters on the Clarity and generating suspicion and fear in the customer about being ripped off both then and in the future, what if the dealer had said “It would be a good idea to change the engine and cabin air filters. They cost only $35 for both and we’ll install them for free.” That service dept. would get a customer for life and be able to sell a lot of service to a happy customer in the future.

Oh well. I know.......in my dreams.

Daniel M W likes this.
  15. vicw

vicw Active Member

Thanks for reminding me about the filters. I've had my Clarity for about a year and a half, so far, with about 11k miles on it, and the cabin filter should be ready for replacement. I watched a couple of you tube clips showing the cabin and the engine air filter replacements, and was quite surprised how much debris and dirt the cabin filters had collected.

I've been pretty happy with our local Honda dealer so far, but the thought of paying the high dealer prices for the filters, and the really really high labor costs for the trivial filter replacement tasks is pretty hard to swallow. Replacing air filters is something I can still manage, even at age 80.

I just ordered a set of filters from HondaPartsNow. I haven't used them before, but their website part search UI is good, and the prices were low. The ResellerRatings on them is very high, so I'm hoping for a good result.

Sandroad and Louis Nisenbaum like this.